Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a tonneau cover made for my '70.. I have a few questions.. are they usually custom made? also what are they made out of, I figure vinyl.

How much is a fair price? I have been to one upholstery place to ask about them and the guy said about 250-300 depending on how I wanted it..

If anyone is in So-cal (north county) and knows of a reputable upholstery store please please let me know.. Im sort of weary about these places. anyways if anyone has something to add please lets hear it!!

Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mike, I had my interior done by Jim's upholstery in Kearny Mesa I would trust him to do anything . I had my car done a few years ago but I know that he has been around for a long time so I'm sure he's still there. Had my tonneau cover done before I met Jim by a place called pacific upholstery on pacific coast highway near midway drive I had him do two covers for me on different trucks and they came out good, good luck

P.S. How's the rear end? Manuel

------------------
geocities.com/MotorCity/shop/7841

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the recommendations. i'll give them a call this week or next.. those places arent exactly right next door but for something major i dont mind a little drive especially for quality stuff.

the rear end is comin along!! Ive got it cleaned up really nice (most of it) control arms and nohop bars are all painted, axle housing needs to be prepped just a little more then painted, need to change the fluid & gasket.. got the new brakes sitting waiting to be installed, new wheel cylinders all assembled with the lines and stuff, its coming out really nice. I cant wait. its the pits having to go work on it sometimes but i know in the end it will be worth it, even though the rest of the car doesnt look like the axle is going to. man no more 1 legger burnouts for me

thanks again

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Mike and Manuel-
Are you guys talking about locking hard shell tonneau's or the fabric kind that snap to the outside of the beds? I've got my eyes on 3 Elkies a 66,70, and a 71(which I plan to look at tomorrow) and was thinking about a hardshell fiberglass one, however I don't know where to start looking for one if I get one of those ElCaminos!
Thanks!

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were talking about the snap on soft kind.. Manuels el camino has one (click on the link in his post) and its really awesome.. He had two el caminos both with black button on and since I saw them, I have to have one.. plus then it keeps the ugly bed from ruining the good looks of the rest of the vehicle... as for the hard shell kind, im not really into those but Im sure they're available in the aftermarket..

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Steve
The EL Camino Store in calif sells hard covers for just about all years. I don't have the catalog (or Phone Number) here, but they advertise in the back of several magazines.
A while back there was a question about building your own. You might want to do a search for it.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
72 El Camino
(soon to be TPI)
ACES # 00140

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.