Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some GM lenses for sale but I was wondering if the originals were clear or white like they are now. Anyone know?

Also, the reflector housings that go in the bumper I'd like to reuse and have them re-cadmium plated instead of getting reproductions. Anyone have an idea on where to get the rubber bumpers for these or should I just get repro's? My refelctors are fine.

------------------
1970 Chevy El Camino (Custom) Non-SS
Will be Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top (now black)
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Dual Exhaust
TH-350 - 2.73 Posi Rear - Factory PS, PB, PW, A/C & More
My El Camino Home Page
Other Restorations -1969 Snowco Trailer & 1967 Sears Custom 600 Tractor
Team Chevelle Member #995

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I have never seen any lenses that were truly white. Not sure where you might have seen them!! Sometimes clear plastics are called "water white" as an industrial description.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
My 72s appear to be clear
Cad plating behind reflectors can be replicated cheaply by using gloss gold spray paint
What bumpers are you talking about?

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
"Hey Ya'll watch this...."

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's these little rubber bumper things, similar to the ones found by the gas door except bigger that are on the bottom of these. If you look at the ones for sale in the catalogs you'll notice it. There's only one per housing. Mine's missing.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Factory lenses were CLEAR to help shed light instead of "glowing", that what happens when you have "white" lenses.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Check at you local aveeco dealer(body supply store)for the bumpers they make just about any you could imagine

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
"Hey Ya'll watch this...."

·
Registered
622 Posts
Woah - restored a Sears tractor ? COOL - Please put pics of it up, I have about the same vintage and thought it was just ole junk - perhaps I have a collectors item ???

------------------
Make it the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I've figured out that they must turn a whitish color with age but originally they were clear.

283v8, I'll try and get some pictures of it up soon. I think that among "tractor enthusiasts" the '67 Sears could be considered a collectible; they don't make em like that anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.