Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know sedans equipped with positraction had a sticker applied to the trunk lid with instructions. Did elco's get a similar sticker, and if so where would it have been applied.

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
I've heard of them reported in various locations on the back bulkhead from the various plants. This one was near the spare tire. You can just make out what is left of it.
Also seen the posi tag on the drain plug like Greg mentioned. https://www.opgi.com/el-camino/J538...0Ija_nafFqK-FvvNLoX6yhJERja3SZMBoCcTMQAvD_BwE
1969 and earlier Positraction labels are worded "USE POSITRACTION DIFF. LUBRICANT ONLY."
1970 and later Positraction labels are worded "USE LIMITED SLIP DIFF. LUBRICANT ONLY."

Attachments

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I've heard of them reported in various locations on the back bulkhead from the various plants. This one was near the spare tire. You can just make out what is left of it.
Also seen the posi tag on the drain plug like Greg mentioned. https://www.opgi.com/el-camino/J538...0Ija_nafFqK-FvvNLoX6yhJERja3SZMBoCcTMQAvD_BwE
1969 and earlier Positraction labels are worded "USE POSITRACTION DIFF. LUBRICANT ONLY."
1970 and later Positraction labels are worded "USE LIMITED SLIP DIFF. LUBRICANT ONLY."
I had a 1971 El Camino that came with a Posi and bucket seats, the label was much closer to the center of the bulkhead, as if the worker who installed it reached between the seats. Easy for him though not aesthetically pleasing.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
8,928 Posts
My 1970 one owner SS 454 had the posi. sticker located just to the right of center on the bulkhead, It was also kinda " Cockeyed ". Mine is a bench, SOOOooo, I guessed someone reached in with the drivers side bench set in the forward position, And just slapped it onto the bulkhead.
Bob

Reactions: LeoP and Steve R

·
Premium Member
8,928 Posts
The question would be..... The BOSS asking the lineworker..." Are you attaching the POSI stickers to the bulkhead " ?????
The LINEWORKER.......YES I am.
The boss leaves, Then the lineworker says to his Buddy: The Boss did not say " What part of the Bulkhead "...........LOL:laugh:
Bob

·
Registered
522 Posts
The one on my new '71 bench seat ElCamino was just above the storage boot behind the driver ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 1977 El Camino with a factory posi rear end. The differential has a steel tag attached to the rear, held in place by one of the cover bolts. It can be seen from the rear of the car.

The ten bolt was the only rear end available due to the fact that the 350, 4 bbl was the largest engine offered at that time.

·
Premium Member
8,928 Posts
SO the Bean counter says at a meeting. " If we attach a POSI tag to the rear differential when it is assembled somewhere else, We can save man power and paper storage and handling here on the production line. Also eliminating a fruitless job." We can add a disclaimer in the owners manual. ( now we are off the hook)
OK, Lets move on and save more money for the company. ( or , How much money can we save and still build this unit.)
Bob
P.S. Have you noticed the amount of pages in a new ( VERY THICK) late model owners manual? It is JUST FULL of disclaimers. So, The attorney says " Did you read the Manual that came with this car?" :surprise:

Reactions: Cam
1 - 11 of 11 Posts