Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
The "El Camino Re-al" (spelling), is a highway in California meaning "The King's Highway"
Someone from back home help me out on the spelling here.

·
Registered
948 Posts
72Elky,
El Camino is Spanish for "The Way" or "The Road". It has two different meanings. I do not know why they named it that. All I know is that 58/59 Elkys were designed after Corvettes, so maybe it was "The Way to the Future". Just a thought.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Why did they name the Chevelle a Chevelle? It's not even a word in any language. Also take the Camaro, it means "pal" or "buddy" in French. The only thing good I learned in that class besides that I like the teacher's husband's 1970 Pro Street Hemi 'Cuda 2 doors down in the auto shop

·
Registered
233 Posts
I believe the word Chevelle came from the French.I think it was a battleship or something to that nature.I am not sure so please correct me if I am wrong.

------------------
Dean Ciampi
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Registered
63 Posts
seems like you may be digging a bit mor ethan ya need to ya know? like chevrolet, chevelle, chevette..corvette.. ect.. maby just dirivatives of Chevrolet.. ya know? designer just made them up =)

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Well, the Impala is one big deer like animal, and it was Chevy's 'full-sized' performer. I think when they came out with Chevelle they said hey use another animal, what's a smaller graceful deer like animal? A Gazelle. Gazelle+Chevrolet=Chevelle!
My Thoughts!

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
In process of finding a 65
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I bleieve that it is an invented word. One account I read had a news writer asked what did "Chevelle" mean? The reply from Chevrolet's sales guy was that it didn't mean anything yet, but they would make it mean something (in terms of sales $$)

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
One book says is means approximately "road" or "highway" in Spanish.

A historic road leading through California is named the "El Camino Real". The "Re-al" was not used in the vehicle's name because it pronunciation would only cause confusion.

The El Camino had a split personality, some state's would allow you register it as a auto or truck. When registered as a auto it could operate as a truck in residential areas where trucks were prohibited, when registered as a truck you could park in loading zones + you could have high performance SS396, SS454 etc and enjoy lower insurance rates. I remember there was a company (in Texas I think) that would make a El Camino clone out of a Cadillac. I remember seeing an ad for them in the 70's.

If anyone is interested the book is; "Chevrolet El Camino 1959-1982" by Donald F. Wood. Model by Model photo history of the Classic Chevrolet El Camino, GMC Sprint and Caballero

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 07-23-99).]

·
Registered
421 Posts
From what I have gleamed from people who speak french is that it is a bastadization of chaveiller or caverly horse... sorta like:

Big Mean Draft Hourse With A Temper

just what I've heard

and as far as El Camino I've heard that it's a dimunitive of camion EG little truck

------------------
Francis Taracido Gold# 201

[email protected]
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.
Oh No! You Know She's Got To Go!
Go Go Quadzilla!
members.aol.com/sniper0666/page/index.html

[This message has been edited by Quadzilla (edited 07-24-99).]

·
Registered
948 Posts
Female horse in french is "cheval", but there is nothing about a male horse. Maybe it is a horse. That would mean that Chevy had a purebreed of it's own to "compete" with the Mustang. as if it would have to compete. HA!

------------------
Jay W.
In-the-works 67 Malibu
genxrodsandcustoms.8m.com
surferwagons.8m.com

·
Registered
20 Posts
El Camino means "the road", there is no "ahead" or "connection w/ Corvette"!
El Camino Real is commonly used in Spanish speaking countries & means The King's Road.

Camaro has NO meaning.

Corvette is named after a British warship.

So 454 is definitely closest.

Steve D 64 SS, Wish You Were Right, but if the marketing people were as good as you they would have used your idea!

[This message has been edited by SirVette (edited 12-22-1999).]

·
Registered
31 Posts
SirVette-was the Corvette actually a 'class' of warship or just the name of a single ship?

------------------
Dave
TC Member #281 (Gold)

·
Registered
548 Posts
I dont 't know where the name came from but I do know where the disign started. Back in the late 49s 50s some of the funeral homes had custom built cars to transport flowers .The ones I remember were 49 and 50 Fords I guess this was the birth of the Ranchero.Took GM 10yrs to catch on...FRED

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, GM eventually saw the public's need for an automobile that had the versatility of a truck yet the comfort of a car. GM definitly did a better version of this car/truck hybird. And thats a fact because Ford only sold about 500,000 Rancheros, while Chevy sold about like a couple million!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
El Camino is The Highway or road, spanish
Camaro is friend,pal, buddy, french.
Chevell unknown as yet still researching.
Corvette is a class of warship but has an earlyer root that I have not found as yet, almost certainly french tho.
Harley

[This message has been edited by Harley (edited 07-29-99).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
I remember reading that story about Camaro a long time ago in a car magazine, but was taking French at the time.
Copain is French for pal, buddy, chum.

Chevy is supposed to have done a search in many languages so that Camaro was unique & therefore applied only to their new car.
This is also supposed to be true of Chevelle.

So I am in agreement w/ 454 & JWagner.

Also Chevy is British for hunt.

[This message has been edited by SirVette (edited 12-22-1999).]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.