Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I've posted a couple random times saying I'm coming back to the forum after my long hiatus, and then I leave again, but I'm here to stay for good... because my father and I decided not to sell the El Camino, and to make sure of it, we are starting a total frame-off restoration! I will use this thread as a place to show photos of our progress throughout the restoration. We are not going for originality, rather, we want to build a "pro-touring" style Elky that we can use as a "shop truck" and an everyday driver that is reliable and looks unique. Here are some photos of the car before the restoration...

Let the Overhaulin' begin!

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Since probably 50% of all frame-off restos never get completed,I wouldn't do it to that car. Talk to SC&C about some chassis mods,get some new rolling stock,and you're off to a good start.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Engine removal:

Dad had a head injury...

Stay tuned... hopefully we'll get the body off tonight! It takes more time to photograph everything while we're doing it, so I won't have a photo for every single thing we take off the car... but you'll get the idea.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate the comments guys! But in all reality, this car needs a lot of work. It looks pretty nice far away, and the engine compartment is pretty clean because we did an engine rebuild and firewall cleanup a couple of years ago, but the rest of the car is not what my dad and I consider a finished, quality product!

The Elky isn't going to be a show car, but my dad and I want to take the time to do things right; there's no reason to "settle" for anything. I'll post some more photos of our progress soon!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Prepping for body removal:

Although we are using all new parts, we decided to "bag-n-tag" all the bolts and old parts to use as reference and to just stay organized. We're using Gorilla Shelves upstairs in the garage to organize all the parts we take off.

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Good move on being organized with your hardware. Replacing it with new stuff will be a cake walk and it will go together MUCH faster. Ive spent more time making trips to get nuts and bolts than I have screwing it together.
Keep the pics coming. :beers:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

We're thinking about turning this old bench seat into a chair for the garage with rolling casters and lifting it up off the ground a foot or two...

That's it for now... the next step is to get the frame media blasted and powder coated so we can start the assembly of our suspension!

1 - 20 of 136 Posts