Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just had my 396 rebuilt and I am going EFI with a Holley Sniper, and I was going over the camshaft specs and now I'm a little worried.
first the N and the end of the spec is indicating Not Computer Compatible. Did some quick reading and now I'm even move confused.
from my reading it seemed to indicate that the vacuum too stable for the EFI to read making it harder to for it to calculate demand but then I also saw something about a big LSA and EFI being ok with that so I ended up more confused. the statments seem to contradict each other, im guessing i am miss reading/understanding something?

Also side note I'm pretty sure during the build process they told me the compression was going to be just a tick over 10.5:1 and again in the cam spec it specify's 9.5:1 still reading up on this, going to try a look up my pistons and try and figure out if what they told me is true.

Thank you
Current Engine spec should be 408 cubes with KB160 domed pistons 0.180in and 702 heads

·
Registered
162 Posts
So I just had my 396 rebuilt and I am going EFI with a Holley Sniper, and I was going over the camshaft specs and now I'm a little worried.
first the N and the end of the spec is indicating Not Computer Compatible. Did some quick reading and now I'm even move confused.
from my reading it seemed to indicate that the vacuum too stable for the EFI to read making it harder to for it to calculate demand but then I also saw something about a big LSA and EFI being ok with that so I ended up more confused. the statments seem to contradict each other, im guessing i am miss reading/understanding something?

Also side note I'm pretty sure during the build process they told me the compression was going to be just a tick over 10.5:1 and again in the cam spec it specify's 9.5:1 still reading up on this, going to try a look up my pistons and try and figure out if what they told me is true.

Thank you
Current Engine spec should be 408 cubes with KB160 domed pistons 0.180in and 702 heads

View attachment 713854
What is 106 and 114?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've been told with most EFI's, anything under 12 on vacuum requires tuning at light throttle at minimum.

·
Registered
Ryan
307 Posts
Unless I’m missing something, I don’t see why a sniper can’t handle that cam shaft. People in this site run larger cams in smaller motors with a sniper successfully.
If I had to guess, “not computer compatible” just means it’s not for emissions or stock tbi engines.

As for the compression: They’re just trying to say that they recommend at least a 9.5:1. Other wise the cam will bleed off enough cylinder pressure to feel a little lazy. Is this your concern? Or are you worried about compression being too high for pump gas? You might be in the edge depending on several other engine specifics.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Unless I’m missing something, I don’t see why a sniper can’t handle that cam shaft. People in this site run larger cams in smaller motors with a sniper successfully.
If I had to guess, “not computer compatible” just means it’s not for emissions or stock tbi engines.

As for the compression: They’re just trying to say that they recommend at least a 9.5:1. Other wise the cam will bleed off enough cylinder pressure to feel a little lazy. Is this your concern? Or are you worried about compression being too high for pump gas? You might be in the edge depending on several other engine specifics.
I concur...

·
Registered
1969 El Camino SS396
915 Posts
That's a tiny camshaft for a 408. The only negative is the tight LSA, but the cam is not that big so it shouldn't be a problem. The cam in my 427 is 274/286 @ 0.050", it idles with 4" of vacuum and it has EFI.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It’s likely to need to be tuned at idle, Sniper might not be able to handle that by itself. It will be very reliant on the IAC, so make sure to read up on proper iac procedures

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yup it is the same cam as a zz502.

I run a zz502 cam in my 540 with sniper.... no issues at all. Auto program in a street/strip setup and it will be slightly rich to start.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
"What is 106 and 114?"

Intake lobe 106, Ex lobe 114,..so we'd call that a "110 LCA" cam. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. Overall, that cam does't appear too radical for EFI, but I'm no expert.

·
Registered
162 Posts
"What is 106 and 114?"

Intake lobe 106, Ex lobe 114,..so we'd call that a "110 LCA" cam. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. Overall, that cam does't appear too radical for EFI, but I'm no expert.
It's a 110. Intake plus exhaust, divided by 2 (IC+EC)/2=LSA

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Computers dont care about the camshaft. EFI's with multi port injection prefer straight duration cams as opposed to carbs which like split duration cams.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Computers dont care about the camshaft. EFI's with multi port injection prefer straight duration cams as opposed to carbs which like split duration cams.
Computers care about 02 sensor readings, which camshafts are a variable.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Self learning EFI's dont like a lot of valve overlap, as it reduces the vacuum signal at idle.

Thats a non issue if you are programming your efi.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts