Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after meeting with my machine shop that is going to be doing the work on my 383 SBC, I've been left with a few questions. I've been trying to do some research on the Racing Head Service (RHS) heads per his suggestion, but there are a few things that I'm not sure of what I should be looking for. We're going with a 64cc 23* head, but there are quite a few versions of that head offered by RHS which has a pretty broad price-range. The term "runners" isn't something that I'm overly familiar with and it appears the price differences come into play with different runner figures. That would be the first question I have, is what does that term actually mean? Also, the RHS brand isn't as "big" as some of the other names out there, so am I considering a good product when going with them? I trust my guy, but the more information the better I always say.

Thanks in advance,
-tim

·
Registered
723 Posts
An intake runner is the passage in the head that allows the air/fuel mixture to enter the combustion chamber through the intake valve. The exhaust runner is the passage that the exhaust gas passes through as it exits the combustion chamber. The runner cc's is the volume of the runner.

Fill us in more on what you are building. Is this 383 going to be a street engine, race engine, super/turbo charged...what cam and induction etc.? If its a strictly street engine, something in the neighborhood of 170-190cc runners would suit you whereas if its going to be a strip/street maybe 190-210cc and strictly race might be 210-220+ depending on the type of race engine.

As far as RHS...I heard that they have been around for a while, but have recently made a comeback. But thats about all I know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, sorry about that, I guess I could have provided a bit more background.

This engine is going in a '94 Camaro that will mainly spend it's time at the track with very limited street use. I'm going with a 3 speed auto. We're working on figuring out exactly what might be the best rotating assembly with this setup, which I'm hoping will be well over 400 hp & 450 ft lbs N/A. I've been out of touch with building motors for over 10 years now, so I'm relearning everything it seems.

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Tim. First off, "runners" are the "tubes" that go from the intake to the valve. The size and shape of the runners determines the "flow" of the head. "Flow" is the amount of air that can go through the head.

With your set up, I think a 195 or 210cc head would be good. RHS makes a very good head But I swear by AFR (air flow research) Check them out here. http://www.airflowresearch.com/

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the definition on the runner terminology for me.

Yeah, I've done a bit of reading on the AFR's new Eliminator series for the SBC's, but I think we're kinda leaning towards going with an iron head. I think I just need to just start doing a TON more research now that it's time to start shopping.

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts