Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to replace the intake on my 1970 Chevelle SS396 with an Edelbrock Performer intake (not Performer RPM). Will there be any hood clearance problems as the car has cowl induction. If anyone has used this manifold I'd appreciate hearing from them. I'd like to know if the stock choke coil ect... will work with this setup and if there is much of an improvement over the stock intake. I'll be using the original Quadrajet carb thats been recently rebuilt. Thanks for any help/ advice. Brian

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
I do not have a specific answer. However, if you can find a copy of an Edelbrock catalog you will see that they list the physical dimensions of each manifold. As for the coil and choke, the manifold will have a provision for the choke and coil.

Steve R.

·
Premium Member
28,854 Posts
Brian,the Performer intake will work with the CI hood.You can't use the factory carb to air cleaner spacer,due to the intakes high rise design.The factory choke coil/stove will work fine.As far as an increase in performance,it's tough to say,as the Performer's ports match up to the small,peanut port oval config.But the flipside is,it's a high rise intake vs. the lowrise factory intake,plus it's lighter obviously.I have one for my 70 SS454,and I plan on putting it on soon,and IMO it has to be better than the low rise,even idfthe ports are smaller than the factory intake.Side note,the Performer RPM has the large,conventional oval ports.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M20/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454My 70 SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
i run an RPM intake with a holley that works fine, no clearance problems but the boot does get a little mashed
and i have an original GM air-cleaner. so it should fit fine.

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
(OO=ss=OO)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.