Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got them with the intake, but can't figure if the heat riser block off plates go on the head before the gasket or after the gasket :confused:
They seem to fit better after the gasket, but this means the directly contact the intake, which seems wrong to me ?
Has anyone used these before ?

· Premium Member
7,272 Posts
Are there four of them? I've used the one's that go on each side of the gasket, then the tab's locked them together. I guess, if there is only 2, I'd place them on the head, then the gasket.

Like I say, i've alway's gotten 4, 2 for each side. They would lock onto the gasket, that was it.

· Premium Member
2,181 Posts
My belief is that you only want to block the one side (right side). One restrictor plate goes on one side of gasket, then the other plate goes on same gasket opposite side, restricted crossover to be mounted on passenger side cyl. head. Also place gaskets on head this side up towards intake and run a thin bead of silicone around water jackets on cyl. head.

· Registered
3,038 Posts
My belief is that you only want to block the one side (right side). One restrictor plate goes on one side of gasket, then the other plate goes on same gasket opposite side, restricted crossover to be mounted on passenger side cyl. head. Also place gaskets on head this side up towards intake and run a thin bead of silicone around water jackets on cyl. head.

Why only one head? I have always blocked both heads.

· Premium Member
2,181 Posts
The only reason I can come up with is that the heat riser is located on that side of the engine. Last Fel pro intake gasket I purchased only came with two plates/one block off. So I looked at the instructions and sure enough it stated specifically to attach the blocked exhaust port intake gasket to the right side head and the left side gasket to be left as is.

· Premium Member
2,181 Posts
The resistance of the heat riser will force the exhaust gas back through the intake. Once the engine is hot the spring on heat riser weakens allowing plate to open and allows proper flow through. I would prefer to block both sides, but I can't say whether it would make a substantial difference. Further more I believe that if you are using headers it will also stop possible side to side scavenging of the exhaust gas, just a theory, nothing more, nothing less.

· Registered
3,038 Posts
The fel-pro describes it assuming the heat riser is still being used because those are their stock replacement series. Most performance gaskets come with enough to block both heads. Or you could get the fel-pro high performance pt#1210 and they are blocked already.

· Premium Member
2,181 Posts
The above mentioned are probably as you stated stock replacements. Usually on rectangular port engines I prefer to use GM part#12506106 which also comes with blocked or restricted crossover, this gasket if still available works great under the stock 163 intake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.