Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anybody is running one of these electric chokes on their Edelbrock carb, I need some help.
If you look at the choke adjustment piece (black with indicator marks on it), just below it I have a opening that is drawing air. Edelbrock techs say this cools the choke, and without it the choke mechanism will melt. Well, when I installed the choke I don't remeber hearing the hissing sound, and the choke worked fine. Now I hear the hissing sound, and my choke seems to stay on incessantly. When I come to a stop, my rpms are way up. If I'm slowing down, I can take my foot off the gas and I will do 35-37 consistantly. HELP!!!

------------------
Fred
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My guess is you either don't have it adjusted correctly or you don't have a full 12 volts going to it. For an electric choke to work it must get a full 12 volts, just like an HEI.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa
1972 El Camino

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a Edelbrock 750 and I bought the electric choke seperately. I had it on and I remember a plug that came with the kit that you had to use. Unfortunatley I am not at home to give you a better description but did you add this or did it come with it. That little plug may be missing and I believe without it there would be a vacuum leak which would do what your describing. If I remember it goes where the a part of the choke fits into the carb housing. It may be more of a seal than plug and I bet without it there would be a whistle sound. I can re-check tonight if you didn't already fix it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot for your replies!

elcamino,
I have verified that the choke is not the problem anymore. Dunno if that's good or bad. And just to be sure I checked for the 12V...thanks!

68SS,
I know the seal you are referring to. It is where the choke assembly's piston chamber mates to the little opening already in the carb. The seal resembles a small O-ring.If you look at your choke assembly from the side there should be a hole facing you just below the adjustment cannister. I have checked with 3 different Edelbrock techs, and they have all said the same thing. It's for cooling. Put your finger over this hole, and you'll see your rpms die a little bit. This is "normal". I don't design 'em, I just use 'em.
Thanks Again!

------------------
Fred
Team Chevelle #400
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.