Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1404 carb(500cfm), with the added electric choke, on top of an edelbrock 2101 intake manifold. It is installed in a '70 Chevelle with a 307 and 2spd powerglide. Other than the carb/manifold there are no other modifications, completely stock including heads.

I am having trouble in two areas.
First:
The chock seems to be kicking the rpms back up even though the engine is warm. A tap on the gas brings the rpms back down, but they seem to creep back up.

Second:
It seems that in the past two weeks, it doesn't want to start in the morning. Almost like it isn't getting enough gas. It will start, sputter and die. Then crank it for 7-8 seconds while pumping the gas and it starts.
Any help?

------------------
Fred
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

[This message has been edited by Riffers70 (edited 09-22-99).]

·
Registered
116 Posts
I,m not sure why your climbing on fast idle but, if its been getting colder in the morning where your from you might want to adj. the choke to make it a little richer hope this helps a little

------------------
Proud owner of a 66 chevelle later,POPS
Member #387

·
Registered
425 Posts
Fred,

Sounds like you installed the electronic choke on backwards.

Do you have the Edelbrock Owners Manual??

You can pull it off of their web site
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/eps_intro.html

In it they talk about "winter fuel Idle Set and "the idle will be erratic and not seem to be able to hold a set" Who knows, maybe the fuel companies switch to winter mix on labor day???

Hope this helps,
Bill

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pop,
just did that this morning, so we'll see what happens tomorrow morning. Thanks!

Bill,
A'yup, got the manual right here in my hot little hands. I saw that entry and decided that I should look into it. I filled the tank during lunch today and dropped a bottle of stp cleaner in it. On the way down a back road, I stopped and jumped on it. Saw a bunch of carbon bellow out of the back of the car. Especially on the passenger side..hmmmm future problem there? Anyways, it seems to be running a little better. Will check back in.
Thanks Bill,
Fred

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK...update:
The dwell had crept up to 33, and with that the timing was thrown off. HEI waiting in the wings to get rebuilt.
I was messing with the choke and noticed an air sound. Just below the choke adjustment is a hole that is SUCKING AIR! If I recall correctly there was a little black grommet that seated in that hole, but I may be wrong. When I plug the hole with my finger, the rpms go down. If I cover the carb with my hand, and leave the choke hole exposed, no diff in rpms. If I plug the choke hole, and cover the carb the rpms drop. So I'm guessing that this hole needs to be plugged, It's not tapped so I can't do it with a screw.
Any ideas?
(and yes, I know I'm leaving MANY doors open to comment here, so please...be gentle)

------------------
Fred
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.