Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres the deal. The holley carb that was on my cousins bronco was a smog 600 cfm that was gathering many problems so we swapped to a Edelbrock 750 vacuum secondaries carb today. The truck runs smoother and stroger than ever but there are two problems: I can't get it to idle under 1100 rpm (the screw won't back out further) and the carb makes a loud hissing noise (sounds like a huge vacuum leak, a 750cfm vacuum leak). I just got in from changing all the gaskets under the carb (under EGR and under carb). It sounds just as loud. I told him he should sell it and buy a chevy but he just won't listen to reason. Any ideas? Please help me this Ford out of my chevy only garage. thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
This may or may not help but check to see if front and rear throttle blades are closing or seating fully. I had a similar problem once.
MLM

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Did you plug the port in the back of the carb? There is a big one back there I think meant for the brakes. My buddy let that one open once, and man, talk about a BIG vacuum leak!

·
Registered
58 Posts
hey bulb122 if you think that was bad, wait until you hear this - I watched a friend put on a brandnew edelbrock carb in his car one day, and he reversed the back vacuum port for the fuel inlet. He couldnt figure out why his car wouldnt start with the new carb - I almost fell on the ground from laughing so hard!
just a thought but you might want to check to see if the power pistons are stuck

[This message has been edited by 68chevelle (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
65 Posts
first of all if you have a electric choke on there and its not hooked up open it all the way by loosing the 3 screws and you be able to get that idle down. if your putting it on a stock manifold make sure you used the right carb adapter for it i had the same exact probs as you now all is ok

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.