·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are not planning on bidding don't worry about it. If you are then follow directions. If you have read the ebay ad some obvious clues are already there. I just want to make sure the buyer knows what he is buying and I have other information about the car that is not posted.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,452 Posts
I think it may mean that something may not be legit about it.
:cool: Perhaps "not legit" is the wrong term to use: but there is a substancial difference between "original GM sheetmetal (as in factory installed)" and "NOS GM sheetmetal" replacement panels. I agree with Rick: there's more to know, a lot more. It's not a bad car, a bidder just needs to know "the rest of the story."

At one point the seller had the car at 26K and couldn't sell it. It still needs a great deal of assembly (and probably parts). A current photo of the car's unfinished state would be a nice addition.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm not as familiar with the history and facts of these cars as most of you guys, but I thought all SS's were 138 cars. Is that right?

·
Premium Member
6,932 Posts
I'm not as familiar with the history and facts of these cars as most of you guys, but I thought all SS's were 138 cars. Is that right?
Only through 1968.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
Humm... Body plate removed. Reproduction quarters, where is the frame? Would like to see a picture of the vin and rivets...

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,452 Posts
Humm... Body plate removed. Reproduction quarters, where is the frame? Would like to see a picture of the vin and rivets...
:cool: Yes, I'd like to see the VIN Plate and Rivets too.

It appears to me that the original Quarters have been replaced with NOS GM Sheetmetal (I guess I could track down the posted P/N to see, but I'm not going to). It also appears to me that the firewall and cowl are originals. The whole point appears to be that the seller may be alluding to the "NOS GM Sheetmetal" as being "GM Original Sheetmetal."

Lots of cars have had panels replaced -- some nicely, some not. Is NOS better than, say, AMD's reproduction panels? Not according to my bodyman. Do we want to keep original panels and have reproduction panel pieces welded in after the rust has been cut out? Not me...

I'd have to see the bodywork before I'd make a negative decision on the car. The point, I believe, is that the seller appears like he's being less than forthcoming as to the panel situation, but I could be wrong ... according to my wife, that happens a lot. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
6,932 Posts
Didn’t 64-65 6 cylinder SS’s have something other than 138 as the first three numbers of the VIN?

Steve R
Looks like Leo has you covered on the 1964 models. 1965 SS cars with 6 cylinder engines carried the VIN prefix of 137.

I should have been more precise with my answer. I was only answering relative to the subject at hand. 138 SS VIN prefixes ended in 1968 and therefore wouldn’t be applicable to 1970 models where an SS was an RPO code added to a Malibu (or custom El Camino) and not a separate model.

And FYI the 138 VIN prefix for 1970 was used on Concours Estate station wagon and Monte Carlo, 8-cylinders.

Reactions: Steve R and LeoP

·
Registered
135 Posts
:cool: Yes, I'd like to see the VIN Plate and Rivets too.

It appears to me that the original Quarters have been replaced with NOS GM Sheetmetal (I guess I could track down the posted P/N to see, but I'm not going to). It also appears to me that the firewall and cowl are originals. The whole point appears to be that the seller may be alluding to the "NOS GM Sheetmetal" as being "GM Original Sheetmetal."

Lots of cars have had panels replaced -- some nicely, some not. Is NOS better than, say, AMD's reproduction panels? Not according to my bodyman. Do we want to keep original panels and have reproduction panel pieces welded in after the rust has been cut out? Not me...

I'd have to see the bodywork before I'd make a negative decision on the car. The point, I believe, is that the seller appears like he's being less than forthcoming as to the panel situation, but I could be wrong ... according to my wife, that happens a lot. :grin2:
The posted p/n is for a hood.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I think that it is more than likely that the seller is some what uninformed when it comes to Chevelles. In his add he originally said that the car was built in December of 69. He has corrected it, the tag shows February 4th week. If he was knowledgeable on Chevelles he would of pointed out the L on the tag. If he knew what he was doing and trying to put one over on a buyer, why would he show the trim tag sitting on the build sheet? Some people just need to spend more time on Team Chevelle!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts