Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The DUDE is almost done installing the new rear-end in his car, but he has some questions.

This is the first posi rear I have ever had, what fluid do i use in it? It is a eaton 4-series posi. I think I read somewhere that Eaton says to use 75w90. Does this sound right? I also need to use a bottle of posi additive right? The bottle at the local auto parts store says "limited slip additive and it is 4oz's. Is this the stuff?

------------------
Mark "THE DUDE" Skoch
1971 Malibu
"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose."
THE DUDEMOBILE
(DUDE POWERED!)

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have used 80w90 in my rear since new and no problems yet, I also have a 4 series posi.

As for the additive, go to a GM dealership ONLY for it, and get the genuine gm posi additive. It's only a couple bucks, get two bottles and throw them both in.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
'71 Malibu with a home built 454! [email protected]
"Our balls are bigger :)"
CDE Power!

·
Registered
9,701 Posts
I wouldn't sugest you put in both bottles at first. Just put in one and try it. If you have problems with it poping then add the second one. The additive makes the clutches slip easier and if you put in too much you may have problems with the clutches locking up when you want them to. I know there has been much discussion about synthetics here, but I have built many, many posi rear ends for my customers and myself and I use Amsoil 75W90 Series 2000 in most of them and it works great. I don't use it with Auburn posis, but everything else likes it very well. It will last much longer than petrolium oil and withstand much higher temperatures than petrolium oil. Send me a e-mail if you want more information.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I put an Auburn posi in my 66.I used 85/90w oil and additive from a parts store... It popped so bad after a couple weeks that I thought something had gone wrong with the posi unit...After calling Auburn they told me to drain the fluid and put new fluid and GM additive in it and low and behold no more noise
I had even put two tubes of the parts store stuff in,still popped BAD...Only used ONE bottle of the GM stuff..

Rick

------------------
66 300 Deluxe 350/330hp
71 350 malibu (project car)
72 Elcam 402SS
78 Malibu Classic (daily driver)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ok, here's another question along these lines. I have 3 bottle of Richmond Geard Oil. It is 75W-140. It says it already has a posi additive in it.
???????
Just use it, and if i have problems, then add the posi additive?

Also, i have a Moroso Brute Strength 4 series carrier. It says to use their Climbing Gear Lube. I have a bottle laying around, but it is HUGE.

1.) should i use the climbing lube at all, or just use the richmond gear oil w. the posi additive?
2.) If i use the climbing lube, how much should i use?

I'm so confused.
-Matt

------------------
TC Member #1434
1971 Malibu 350/TH350 (383/700R4/12bolt in the works)
"It's not how much blood and sweat it took to get there, it's whether or not you have what it takes to finish it."
CAR
ENGINE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.