Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to paint the firewall using Eastwood paints. Any recomendation on how to get the best result. I am using the spray cans and I have read that it is hard to spray it in nice and even coats without it looking "uneven". I havent actually ordered the paint yet so if you have other recomendations, I am all ears. But Eastwood seems to have the best spray cans in the correct underhood black.

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
I used Eastwood paint on the firewall of my wife's '69 Impala when I restored it and it looks great. Spray cans can be a little tricky sometimes to get even coverage, but if you put on a lot of thin coats it should cover nicely. You can get into trouble (runs, sags, etc.) trying to put it on heavy and cover it all in one coat. Make sure that the car and the environment (garage, outdoors, or wherever) are at a reasonably warm temperature for 6 to 8 hours before spraying. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Chris, I used Eastwood's products to do my engine compartment. I was satisfied with the results. The manifold paint works real good. The engine was painted with Dupli-Color 1607 Chev.Orange. Got the engine paint at NAPA. I also used Detail Gray, Aluma Blast, Spray Gray and Under Hood Black. I'm going to give the Golden Cad a try. BTW the engine compartment looks even. This is the link to see the engine of my Chevelle at Maryland Chevelle Club.
http://www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/feature.htm
Luis!!70SS

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
For many years I have been using Krylon High Heat Black, the number is 1614. It is dead on and cheaper. And the only way to really paint a firewall is with the engine out and the hood off. Otherwise, mask very carefully. You will NOT find 1614 at Walmart. Only at parts stores or the like that carry Krylon products. I like the Krylon spray much better than the Duplicolor.

------------------

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.