Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the engine lift plate that the Eastwood co. offers. I am pulling the LS-6 out of my 66 SS396 and I am a little concerned about the aluminum intake. The plate uses the 4 tapped holes for the carb. The plate is designed to be able to lift the engine and tranny at the same time (i will only do this when it's time to put the engine & 4 spd. muncie back on the frame, I'll drop the tranny before taking out the engine). Should I be worried about damaging the intake? I believe they are 5/16-18 tapped holes, I threaded the bolts in as far as they can go. I estimate that the engine & 4 spd. are around 1000 lbs. I'm sure the intake can handle the static load, but I'm not sure about the dynamic (engine swinging on hoist type) load. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
12,835 Posts
Hi,
I have had many customers bring me motors with the type of plate you refer to still bolted on, but personally I have always been pretty leary of them. I certainly dont think I would try it with a Big Block, and transmission but I am the Chicken S$!t type when it comes to breaking things. We use chains bolted to the ends of the cylinder heads in the shop and have never had a problem
Just my opinions.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've used one of these plates for years on big and small blocks with cast iron and aluminum intakes without any problems. Balance is really good when using them because of the centralized position of the carb's mounting location on most engines. They are really nice when your putting a freshly detailed engine back in with it's nice valve covers and all and you don't have to worry about the chain scratching everything up. I myself never put the engine and trans in as a unit. I would however make sure the bolts for the plate aren't too long that they bottom out before clamping the plate to the intake surface.

Joe

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am doing a ground up resto on this car, so I will probably have the body off the frame when it's time to put the engine and trans back in. I've done this many times with a chain and the lifting brackets, but I thought this bracket would just make it a little easier! If I had a cast iron intake I would'nt think twice about lifting the engine and tranny as a unit, but I think in this case I'll R&R them separately. I don't like to break things either Bill!

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Just another opinion, but I like to pull & install the engine & transmission as a unit whenever I can. I tried the plate approach first, but when it came to "tilting" the engine & transmission to install or pull out with the body still on, I had to call a friend over to help. I invested in an engine "tilter" so now it's easy for me to do these processes by myself. However, I have an engine "crane" rather than a chain hoist. Since the body will be off for your situation, I think you'll be fine with the plate. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just for info I weighed my 396(402) just before we reinstalled it with the clutch & tranny attached and it was 781 lbs. That was with stock exhaust and aluminum intake manifold. My car was put together when we installed the engine/tranny and it just barely made it. It was at a severe angle to clear the oil pan over the radiator support and still get the tailshaft under the firewall. But it made it with a tilt bar attached to the engine hoist, and it was a lot easier than laying under the car to install the tranny (especially with these damn bifocals). Would be a whole lot easier with out the body on as you are doing.

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
67SS396, Had the same problem with my bifocals, I had the eye Dr. make a special pair of single vision that would focus at arms length. They work great for both wrenching and using the computer. To install my Muncie I got 4 six inch long bolts, cut off the heads, screw them into the bellhousing then slide the tranny onto them so I don't have to hold it while I line it up. 30 years ago I could hold it up with one hand, I guess that would be "the good ol days". Philip

·
Registered
622 Posts
Bill K.; Exactly which bolts or holes ??
I've always used exhaust manifold bolts.One each on opposit corners, these OK?

------------------

·
Registered
258 Posts
283, The head bolt holes he's talking about are inboard on the front and back of the heads. I think they are used to mount accessories like the alternator bracket.

I put the 396 in my 67 with the muncie bolted on and the dog house off. Pretty easy. I used chains on the heads with old valve covers. Put the new valve covers on after you drop the motor in. Touching up the engine paint is easy with no dog house and a bare engine.

I've seen those manifold brakets. What does Eastwood say the weight limit is? If your engine weighs 780 you're looking at about 850 with tranny. Not that bad really.

------------------
Jameel Qazi
#'s 67 SS

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just pulled the LS-6 from my 66 SS396 tonight using the bracket, worked great! I had the front clip off, so that made it much easier. I lifted to entire tranny & engine as an assembly, put a floor jack under the tranny, zipped off the 4 bolts, and slid it out. One of the easiest engine removals I have ever done. I think I am more afraid of the way the LS-6 bounces on my engine stand, than I was about that bracket and my aluminum intake! I estimated that the engine & M20 assembly was around 1000 lbs. I never had a 4 spd. car, and I'm pretty suprised at how light the tranny is! I won't be concerned when I go to drop in the engine-tranny unit when the frame is ready. Thanks for the opinions!

·
Administrator
3,375 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for letting us know how it worked out. I honestly had a shiver go up my spine when I read your first post as I just didn't feel comfy with the aluminum.

Glad it worked, I can't say as I will ever try it, but I won't feel so uncomfortable watching someone else do it

I suppose there are a few variables as to which manifold manufacturer I would trust...

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,047 Posts
I think the trick is to have long bolts that grab all the threads there are in the manifold. I've been using these plates for as long as they've been available, no problems. I had a chain break one time, 455 Olds with TH400 on it. It fell about three feet, more or less landed on the mounts. Woke me right up.

Tom

W

·
0 Posts
I have used this plate many time to put fully assembled rat motors with water manifolds back in big buck boats. BUT, before I did it I would throw the alum. manifold up in my seat and guide machine, and heli coil all of the bolt holes in the intake.

Rat with water system from Merc Cruiser weighs almost 1200 pounds. Never dropped one through a boat, must work!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.