Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to assemble my engine. What is the best way to clean the short block with out taking it apart?

It has been sitting for some time, and dust has made it into the cylinder and lifter bores.

Blast it with air... soak it with oil?

There is no cam, however the bearings are in.

Gene

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
You may not like this but...

I'd say take it apart and clean it thoroughly with soap and water.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
By short block, I take it the pistons are installed. Here's what I would do. For the cylinders, I'd use compressed air. Make sure you blow down around the circumference of the cylinder so as to get as much of the dust as possible out from around the sides of the piston crowns. Follow that with a little aerosol brake cleaner, followed by more compressed air. Wet the cylinder walls down with motor oil just before you put the heads on.
For the lifter bores, use those blue lint free paper towels that you buy at the auto supply store and dampen one with a little Marvel Mystery oil and swab each bore by wrapping the towel around your favorite finger. Then rig up something to swab the cam bore, being careful not to tear off and leave bits of paper towel in any oil feed holes. After this, give the lifter valley a good washdown with brake cleaner. After you install the oil pan, pour a couple of quarts of oil all over the lifter valley and drain it right away. Then you'll be ready to install your intake.
If this is just household dust that's made its way into your garage, you should be okay. But if this is dust from a workshop, there could be metal particles, grinder dust, or particles of spent grinding wheels in there. In that case, I would go ahead and bite the bullet and remove the pistons and crank and give everything a good cleaning.

[This message has been edited by Randy Mosier (edited 12-05-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.