Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked about a transmission in the past, but now I am just trying to get the car driveable before I finish up the body work. Due to school and working toward my new career, I haven't had as much time to work on the car.

1970 ss chevelle with a 396 from from a 72 model truck if I remember correctly. It was a four speed car.

I'm just asking what transmission would be easiest to put in it and get driving? And then what would be the easiest 5 speed swap?
I need everything from behind the motor to the front of the rear end.

Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Easiest is to use an M20 with a ~3.31 rear axle ratio. You can re-use your driveshaft, the shifter will be in the right spot, no mods to floorpan or crossmember and it'll be cheap to do.

Another option would be a TKO; but be mindful of what your rear axle ratio is, and select 1st gear and overdrive ratios accordingly. You don't want so deep of an OD ratio combined with freeway gears that you find 5th nearly unuseable; similarly, you don't want a 1st gear thats so deep either, you'll find yourself starting in 2nd most times.

There is a 2.98 1st gear custom gearset for the Muncie; you could run 3.08s with that. Similarly, if you found a 2.88 1st gear T10 you could do the same.
Your car is probably set up for a 32 spline output shaft; if so, keep that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Easiest is to use an M20 with a ~3.31 rear axle ratio. You can re-use your driveshaft, the shifter will be in the right spot, no mods to floorpan or crossmember and it'll be cheap to do.

Another option would be a TKO; but be mindful of what your rear axle ratio is, and select 1st gear and overdrive ratios accordingly. You don't want so deep of an OD ratio combined with freeway gears that you find 5th nearly unuseable; similarly, you don't want a 1st gear thats so deep either, you'll find yourself starting in 2nd most times.

There is a 2.98 1st gear custom gearset for the Muncie; you could run 3.08s with that. Similarly, if you found a 2.88 1st gear T10 you could do the same.
Your car is probably set up for a 32 spline output shaft; if so, keep that.
Well my trans tunnel is already boogered up from previous owner, and I do not have a drive shaft for it If I remember correctly. The rear end was rebuilt a couple years ago and I cannot remember the ratio. I guess i'll have to pull the cover and figure it out. It is a 12 bolt posi that was just rebuilt to whatever stock ratio would be.

Thank you very much for the reply!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts