Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are running a 96 5.7L vortec engine in a very nice 55 chevy pickup. we are using the original FI and ECM with settings to match the non-smog configuration. runs great. however, we used the original style edelbrock water pump that is made for the pre-vortec engines and has the bypass port and is designed for v-belts, not serpentine belts. without a bypass, we had to drill a 1/8th inch hole in the thermo to get some cold water circulation. we had a light-bulb moment this week. why cant we just use the original gasket as a template and drill the hole into the block water jacket just like it existed for the first forty years? your thoughts?

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
as long as the surface is totally flat, just break out the drill and put the old bypass hole into the coolant passage on the new block.
if you were running a heater, then the hoses to the heater core would be the only bypass you'd need.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Early Vortecs actually had the bypass. Later Vortecs have an external bypass hose. The main problem I see is that the Vortec heads do not have the bypass port in them.

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
Early Vortecs actually had the bypass. Later Vortecs have an external bypass hose. The main problem I see is that the Vortec heads do not have the bypass port in them.
the only small block heads that ever had any sort of a "bypass" in them was the 93-97 L99, LT1, and LT4 with the reverse cooling setups. every other small block had the same cooling passages in the head, and only the 96-99 vortec 305's and 350's didn't have the water pump bypass drilled in the block for some reason or another. i'm sure GM saved $2 on each engine they made, so i guess it was worth it.

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
the only "reverse flow" small blocks were the L99, LT1, and LT4's in F bodies, B bodies, and Vettes from 92-97. those were also the only ones that had any sort of bypass on the heads.
every other small block from 55-98- including the truck vortecs and every engine with a serpentine belt and reverse rotation water pump- used the same standard flow cooling setup.

·
Premium Member
7,493 Posts
The hole goes up to the deck, too.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
my 96 vortec block has the hole drilled in at the bottom and works with my old long style water pump.

my old 79ish 350 i had in the sonoma had the hold in the block also, but when i put the serp. belt drive set up on ( off 96 chevy truck), i had to use the reverse water pump (not lt1 pump, but the serp pump), and it only have the one big hole, not the small one at the bottom. so i had to plug it.

aaron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.