Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a smoking deal on a early 80s windshield wiper motor and pump w/ delay pulse. Everything works. I have been trying to firgure out
how to wire this in using some of the exsisting wiring. I know I may have to add a wire. But I'm not sure which wiper switch to use that will go in the wiper sw place on the 70 dash. I'm not 100% sure what vehicle this motor came out of. But it closely matches an 80 Camaro. I think a 80s Silverado switch may work.
I currently have the motor set up for 2 speed operation. It's simple enough to change it back to delay operation.

Also, Anyone know where to get a white pump head assy or the piston for the pump?

Has anyone done a mod like this in the past?
Thanks for the time...
Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Automotive tire Machine

Wood Gas Auto part Metal Machine

Gas Engineering Machine Motor vehicle Rim

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
Do you daily drive your Chevelle? In the 20 plus years Ive owned mine I have only had to use the wipers maybe 3 times. A lot of the site users here are afraid to wash their Chevelles let alone drive them in the rain. They would probably faint at the wheel if it started raining while they were driving their trailer queens.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you daily drive your Chevelle? In the 20 plus years Ive owned mine I have only had to use the wipers maybe 3 times. A lot of the site users here are afraid to wash their Chevelles let alone drive them in the rain. They would probably faint at the wheel if it started raining while they were driving their trailer queens.
No, I'm still rebuilding mine. But my other 2 cars rarely ever have seen the rain. But it's nice to know you have a working system if it ever comes to be.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Serious question, y’all really worried that much about getting rained on. Mine is still in pieces, but I am building mine to drive. I doubt I will pull mine out on days that I know it’s going to rain, but crap, if I only pull it out on days I definitively know it’s not going to rain, it will hardly ever get driven. I am not saying this to be critical. It’s a serious question! Am I crazy for thinking this way?

Winter salt I totally get why you avoid it, but I am building mine with the intentions of driving it wherever/whenever I can. I guess I am glad mine is a non numbers matching Malibu.

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
Serious question, y’all really worried that much about getting rained on.
True Story. I was at an all Chevelle show several years ago and it was evident that we were going to get a downpour. You should have seen these guys running around like chickens with their heads cut off. There were at least 150 cars at this show. At least half of those put their cars back in their trailers and most did not bring them out afterwards. Most of the rest covered their cars with giant condoms. Myself and maybe 10 others at the most did nothing. I just wiped my car off afterwards. No harm, no foul. The rain lasted maybe 30 minutes, start to finish.
I was not kidding when I said many of these guys will not wash their cars. Ever.

·
Registered
436 Posts
my 78 malibu came factory with delay wipers. The switch for it is similar, but instead of having a square piece on the top of the switch, it has a round knob with a arrow on it. may be some food for thought...

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my 78 malibu came factory with delay wipers. The switch for it is similar, but instead of having a square piece on the top of the switch, it has a round knob with a arrow on it. may be some food for thought...
Can you post a photo of it?
Thanks

·
Gold Founding Member
64,270 Posts
True Story. I was at an all Chevelle show several years ago and it was evident that we were going to get a downpour. You should have seen these guys running around like chickens with their heads cut off. There were at least 150 cars at this show. At least half of those put their cars back in their trailers and most did not bring them out afterwards. Most of the rest covered their cars with giant condoms. Myself and maybe 10 others at the most did nothing. I just wiped my car off afterwards. No harm, no foul. The rain lasted maybe 30 minutes, start to finish.
I was not kidding when I said many of these guys will not wash their cars. Ever.
I've seen the same thing happen at car shows but it wasn't rain they were afraid of, it was hail they were worried about.

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
I've seen the same thing happen at car shows but it wasn't rain they were afraid of, it was hail they were worried about.
Dean, same thing happened at a car show I was at a few weeks ago except this show had a few thousand cars at it. Forcast said rain was possible so it was no suprise. When rain was evident, 75% of those cars attempted to leave. This was in a township park with a single lane exit road. The cars were backed up for almost two miles. Not only did they get wet when they left they also drove on wet roads. So their cars got all splashed with dirty water.
same thin g it rained for about 1/2 hour. My buddy and I stayed put and just wiped our cars down afterwards. Half hour after it quit raining the roads were dry. Not going to say it never happens but hail is rare here.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Unfortunately, I have never spent a whole lot of time at car shows, but I want nothing to do with a car I can’t drive. I can’t fathom being scared of the rain

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
This is a system from a 77 Nova and it was designed for the standard motor to where the same motor would work with the standard wiper switch or it could be unplugged and the delay wiper switch installed as well as the delay module and then all that was needed was the power to be plugged into a port on the fuse block.

Album with the switch, the control module, and other info:

Jim

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the photo Jim.
I'vce decided to use the same old standard wiper motor for the time being.
I'm hanging onto the Pulse dely washer assembly for a while. I may get froggy later and pursue it at another time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts