Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My machine shop owner friend is trying to get a 510 inch BBC ready to dyno tonight. It's a little different combo, 4.375 stroke, 4.310 bore tall deck, 6.700 rod. It has ported Pro Topline 320 cc heads, 13.5:1, Victor intake. We have three carbs to try, 1050, 1150, 1050 Alcohol.The cam is .740 lift solid roller, [email protected] Should be interesting with the longer stroke. It should make a ton of torque, especially on Alky.

· Registered
655 Posts
webfoot said:
Wow, thats a monster alright.
Yeah and all below 7 grand -- even with the big cam

You could get a box truck going tens with that kind of TQ curve :D

· Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
-SS454- said:
Stupid question, but I assume ur running the first two carbs on race gas?
Yes, VP C14. By the way, this is not my engine, just a customer of the machine shop. Also, the machine shop does not own this dyno, it is owned by an individual and is the only engine dyno in the area.

I had to leave before the alcohol carb showed up. They tried it but there was something wrong somewhere because it was cutting out and running pretty rough. The guy that built the alcohol carb said the plugs were too cold. It still made 745tq and 802Hp with the alky, even running really rough on the top end. They put my 1150HP back on, put on some 2 3/8 tube headers with 4 1/2 collectors and it made 824HP, and 732TQ with 92 jets and 33* timing. I don't know what the RPM's were but I would assume they were a bit higher with the big headers. About 2 1/4 X 3.5 or 4 inch collectors would probably work better. This is going in a 2200lb tube chassis Nova. The car is not all that great from what I hear, I think he is going to have problems getting it down the track. He had a flat top 454 in it before and it only ran like 6.20 1/8th mile and they tell me he was all over the track. That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me!

· Registered
1,544 Posts
A 2200 # tube frame car all over the track with 550 ish hp ?? must be a POS car. 300 more hp may put him into the wall (if it is true).

· Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think they were talking about a time when he sprayed it with a 200 shot. It went like 5.90. And yes, I haven't seen the car but from what I have heard it isn't exactly state of the art.

· Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, the guy put the engine in his Nova. It blew through the convertor to the tune of about 6200 RPM. The rear suspension was so out of whack it was all over the track. Took it to the shop. Weighed it with 4 wheel scales, got the suspension back in shape. The supposed 2200lb car weighed 2850 with driver. Put a tight 10" convertor in it. Would stall on the transbrake about 4800. Made a sort of easy dial in pass, went 5.90. Went back to the line to flog it hard, broke the teeth off the 12 bolt ring gear and that was it. About what I thought might happen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts