Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_3374.jpg

IMG_3373.jpg

A while ago I was talking about the importance of finding a good tuner who knows his stuff and a few members found it tough to believe my car picked up 118 hp and 84 ft/lbs from dialing in the timing and getting the proper jetting. So here's the sheets that were asked for. The car is a 79 Malibu with a 468 fully studded BBC, 680 lift solid flat cam, around 11:1, L88 074 aluminum heads, old Holley strip dominator with an old 850 dp. Best run was 10.90 @ 123 mph.

Not the best pics and a little faded but first pull 35* and factory jets peaked 488 hp 486 ft/lbs, best pull 38.5* and 92/92 jetting achieved a best of 606 hp and 570 lb/ft

I will note that no parts were changed these are the same session with a change of timing and jets

I believe with a modern carb, intake and ignition system this motor has more potential

·
Premium Member
5,692 Posts
I'm a believer too. I had TPIS dyno tune my car on their chassis-dyno a couple years after doing my EFI conversion. I wasn't looking for a power upgrade as much as just fixing some glitches from the homemade chip we were using. They not only fixed it over the whole curve, but I picked up a little over 50 hp at the wheels too.

·
Premium Member
3,707 Posts
It seems that the only people who don't understand how much there is to be gained by a dyno tune session are those that have never experienced it themselves.

Some of the best money to be spent....without a doubt.

·
Premium Member
3,707 Posts
Not always the case! I have seen some well tuned track cars pick up NOTHING from the dyno-tuning on a chassis dyno. The one is a good friend of mine, and after 3 hours they gained NOTHING.
John: The question becomes - How did they get so well tuned? How much TIME was spent doing so?

Even if you get lucky and find the right "mix" on your own, it usually takes a LOT more time (and money) doing it on your own than going to a tuning dyno.

Disclaimer: Guys running EFI have a major advantage here and can get in the neighborhood quite often with whatever "computer" they are using. Guys running carbs have the most to gain here.....IMHO.

·
Registered
276 Posts
MBT is allot easier to find on a dyno. Working out timing for your af mixures you can use a wideband and read plugs to af in line but to get the timing right it takes allot of controlled measured runs either down the 1/4, 1/8, or dyno. Tuning is done through stradagy. I look at a dyno as a time saver when I get my efi tuned on a dyno I will go with a plan to maximize my time there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts