Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about finding out what my Chevelle with it's new motor would run. But with Englishtown now closed and Atco and Island a good distance I was wondering how close of an estimate can I get by putting the car on a dyno ? There's a speed shop close by that has one.

·
Premium Member
28,419 Posts
IMHO and experience,a drag strip is the ONLY way to find out what you truly have. I have been drag racing my LS6 car for 20 years and have driven it over 270 miles round trip (now I drive 180 round trip) to find out how it performs. Anything else is a guessing game or a "feel good" for the time ego boost. The drag strip is neither. With that in mind,it is a humbling place as well.
Take the time and trailer or drive it and find out.There is no better feeling than making passes.

You don't get this feeling on a dyno nor the accuracy of your performance:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
IMHO and experience,a drag strip is the ONLY way to find out what you truly have. I have been drag racing my LS6 car for 20 years and have driven it over 270 miles round trip (now I drive 180 round trip) to find out how it performs. Anything else is a guessing game or a "feel good" for the time ego boost. The drag strip is neither. With that in mind,it is a humbling place as well.
Take the time and trailer or drive it and find out.There is no better feeling than making passes.

You don't get this feeling on a dyno nor the accuracy of your performance:

lvd1215pass - YouTube
X2, absolutely. How many times I've heard guys saying "my car made 700hp or 800 hp on the dyno" and when they get to the track, the best they can do is somewhere near 12.50. :rolleyes: An 800 hp. car should be easily in the 10's. :yes:
...and last... A good time slip never lies.

Claude. ;)

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
X2, absolutely. How many times I've heard guys saying "my car made 700hp or 800 hp on the dyno" and when they get to the track, the best they can do is somewhere near 12.50. :rolleyes: An 800 hp. car should be easily in the 10's. :yes:
...and last... A good time slip never lies.

Claude. ;)
You run across people all of the time whose 500-600 horsepower car runs 15’s at 90mph.

Nothing beats a time slip, even if it doesn’t run as quick as expected nobody that has spent much time at a track will give you crap. They have all been there. It’s the guys that run their mouth at a show and their cronies who proclaim big numbers to anyone within earshot, that have no intention of ever staring down the track from the drivers seat that will give someone a hard time.

Steve R

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Dyno numbers won't directly correlate a dragstrip ET. There are too many variables such as gearing, torque convertor and chassis tuning to say this much power equals this ET. It may be a long drive, but if we don't support the remaining open dragstrips, they too can succumb to the lack of support. Once they're gone they are difficult to bring back and re-open

·
Registered
786 Posts
You run across people all of the time whose 500-600 horsepower car runs 15’s at 90mph.

Nothing beats a time slip, even if it doesn’t run as quick as expected nobody that has spent much time at a track will give you crap. They have all been there. It’s the guys that run their mouth at a show and their cronies who proclaim big numbers to anyone within earshot, that have no intention of ever staring down the track from the drivers seat that will give someone a hard time.

Steve R
YEP
I had a buddy with a 2012 camaro SS with the LS3, he had a cam, headers, ported heads, and a holley intake installed and it made something like 500rwhp REAL WHEEL horsepower.

When I had my small block which MAYBE made 320 at the tires(it was supposed to be 420 horse at the crank) he just couldn't out run me. We stayed door to door every time we raced.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
And unless your a ExPro Racer the more Seat Time at the Track the better your Times will get

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Dyno numbers won't directly correlate a dragstrip ET. There are too many variables such as gearing, torque convertor and chassis tuning to say this much power equals this ET.
MPH is your horse power.
ET is your chassis ability.

Even if you have a 3.0 60' the MPH will still be relatively the same on 11-13 second cars

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
Put the car on the chasis dyno AND run at a 1/4 mile track....in the name of Science.

Racing in the Street picks up a full second......... :)

Reactions: sstom66 and Steve R

·
Registered
811 Posts
Put the car on the chasis dyno AND run at a 1/4 mile track....in the name of Science.

Racing in the Street picks up a full second......... :)
FWIW, I ran Stubb’s on a chassis dyno on a Friday and went to the track on Saturday. The weather was similar both days the car made 620 rwhp and ran [email protected] at the track.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had a foxbody mustang street car that went 9.76 at 137. It dynoed 546 hp on a known stingy dyno. Weight vs mph calculators showed more like 620. Same dyno said my 7000 lb dually trapped 98 mph with 450 hp. Not very likely...

Reactions: BRN2RUN

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
1957 chevy 4 door with 280H comp flat tappet cam #601 305 heads with 1.84-1.50 valves.
Vs 2015 Mustang 5.0 with supercharger, smalled blower pully A tune and intake and exhaust work 550 wheel HP.
He had over 250 HP on me.

My distributor slipped a bit during the burnout and retarded my timing to 28 total from the 38 I was running..a real top end and hole shot killer for sure.

We were drag racing when the green light comes on you go. His et was 4 tenths quicker but I beat him.

You going bracket racing or drag racing?

Racing starts at about 20 second mark into the video.
I pull my 20 foot pontoon boat with that car. His does not have a hitch :)

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
1957 chevy 4 door with 280H comp flat tappet cam #601 305 heads with 1.84-1.50 valves.
Vs 2015 Mustang 5.0 with supercharger, smalled blower pully A tune and intake and exhaust work 550 wheel HP.
He had over 250 HP on me.

My distributor slipped a bit during the burnout and retarded my timing to 28 total from the 38 I was running..a real top end and hole shot killer for sure.

We were drag racing when the green light comes on you go. His et was 4 tenths quicker but I beat him.

You going bracket racing or drag racing?

Racing starts at about 20 second mark into the video.
I pull my 20 foot pontoon boat with that car. His does not have a hitch :)

1957 Chevy VS supercharged Mustang - YouTube
All this video does is show what typical beginners do, he waited until the green, which gives they guy in the other lane a 1/2 a second head start, minimum. It happens because nobody bothers to help newbies out. Other than that, this video doesn't show anything. This is nothing to brag about, it’s an example of why a lot of these guys never come back.

Steve R

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
All this video does is show what typical beginners do, he waited until the green, which gives they guy in the other lane a 1/2 a second head start, minimum. It happens because nobody bothers to help newbies out. Other than that, this video doesn't show anything. This is nothing to brag about, it’s an example of why a lot of these guys never come back.

Steve R

He had been drag racing quite a bit he just could not get his stick shift to launch as well as an automatic car.
From a roll I could wax him through the 1/8 every time.
But that is just gearing.
Or the 6 speed stick with 373's maybe can't match 4500 stall with 456 gears in a short run.

4 tenths et difference in times. my retarded timing and his lack of launching.
With 250 wheel HP difference I would expect a larger et difference between the 2 cars.

The point is you can't guess ET based on HP alone.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've been thinking about finding out what my Chevelle with it's new motor would run. But with Englishtown now closed and Atco and Island a good distance I was wondering how close of an estimate can I get by putting the car on a dyno ? There's a speed shop close by that has one.
That would be interesting to know. What 1/4 mile times people ran and what their cars dynoed at the wheels. Seems like people are running better times here than their dyno numbers indicate. I wonder if its because our engines generally make more torque across the powerband vs more modern engines.

Reactions: BRN2RUN

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I talked to a guy running 10's well many years ago he ran 10's and him and his buddies would do dyno days and his buddies cars would make way more than his but ran way slower.

He had some 5500stall converter in it for stupid launches and ended up sticking in a tight 3000 stall and his wheel HP went from 350 to over 500 from the converter change.
So converter was soaking up the power. but it made the car very quick in the 1/4 with the 5500stall.

My 57 chevy felt slow out of the hole with 370 gear and 3000 stall slow compared to ?
I stuck 456 gears in and it felt better but still not what I needed out of the hole.

I pulled that cheap shelf 3000 stall and went with a 4500 coan and it came alive out of the hole.

I also agree with more TQ across the powerband.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts