Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pioneer DVD drive. The thing has been nothing but problems but specifically, I don't seem to be getting full capacity out of my media. I don't know if it's the media or the drive.

Using Fuji CD-R's that say 700MB on them, the drive will only let me write 488MB of information to it.

I did a partial backup or the HD last night on Fuji DVD-R's and it took 5 discs!!!! There's no way it should have taken that many.

If there is no media in the drive and you look under "My Computer" it's listed correctly as a "DVD-RW Drive" but with DVD media in the drive, "My Computer" lists it as "CD-RW Drive"

I have, in the past, gone as far as opening the computer, disconnecting power to the drive and then gone into Device Manager and uninstalled it. Then reinstalling it from scratch without helping anything any.

I'm ready to pitch this thing in the woods. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Are you using software like DirectCD, or other formating software?

If you put in a blank CD-R, what happens? Does it automatically start a program, or does windows give you the option of what to do, i.e Burn an Audio CD using Media Player, Open an empty folder in Explorer, etc?

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get the Windows box asking what I want to do. And I know I didn't format the disks at all. I'm just right clicking on the pictures and picking "Send to CD" then "Write these files to CD"

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
jpete,
If you have Windows XP, I don't think Windows XP supports DVD-Burning. So, when you insert a blank DVD Media disc, that is why it probably changes it to a CD Drive. Try inserting a DVD disc that already has a movie something on it. What happens when you do that? Windows Vista has upgraded the system where you can do DVD-Burning. You probably have to install a third-party program like Nero or something to burn things onto DVD.

Hope this helps,
Ethan

·
Registered
716 Posts
See if there are any firmware updates from the manufacturer.

Tim

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jpete,
If you have Windows XP, I don't think Windows XP supports DVD-Burning. So, when you insert a blank DVD Media disc, that is why it probably changes it to a CD Drive. Try inserting a DVD disc that already has a movie something on it. What happens when you do that? Windows Vista has upgraded the system where you can do DVD-Burning. You probably have to install a third-party program like Nero or something to burn things onto DVD.

Hope this helps,
Ethan
I was just trying to put some pictures on a CD so my wife could go to Wal-Mart to print them. And I was doing the backups to DVD with NovaBackup so that should be supported. I just put a couple home movies on DVD last week, so it works.....sometimes.

See if there are any firmware updates from the manufacturer.

Tim
I think that's when I got into trouble. I did a firmware update so it would recognize more types of media and it's been flaky since. That was about a year ago.

here is a place to find firmware upgrades, if you find Pioneer hard to deal with.
http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

finding support for a Pioneer computer part won't be easy.
Truer words were never spoken.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts