Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw my friends chevelle last weekend which is very near completion. This car is without any doubt one of the nicest cars I have ever seen constructed by an individual. With its twin turbocharged duramax and allison trans it becomes a car that will twist heads in a split second when it pulls up near you at a light. Just imagine sitting at a light minding your own business and hearing a large diesel bus pull up only to look over and see a badass chevelle sitting there instead. I cannot say enough for the guy who built this and his talent. I'm certain you guy's will see plenty of it in the mags. It's the real deal and it all fits nicely under the stock SS hood. Coming soon :yes::hurray::beers:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I saw in the magazine when the build was started. I always thought it would be a cool idea to do a Duramax in a hot rod. I'm most curoius about where the weight is going end up once it's finished.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The Duramax is a bad ass motor (I know I have one). They fly in 7k lb pick-ups, imagine what one can do in a 3500-4000lb car.

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
They do run good but are heavy as hell. I wouldn't be surprised if that Chevelle now weighes 4500 lbs. Seems i remember the engine being 1300+ lbs and the Allison transmission at around 250 lbs. With the turbocharger it should haul though. It's still cheaper than race gas to drive and should get 20+ mpg. What did he do about the rear end gears? A 12 bolt will never hold up under 1000+ lb. ft. of torque, maybe time for a Dana 60 rear end housing.

·
Premium Member
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They do run good but are heavy as hell. I wouldn't be surprised if that Chevelle now weighes 4500 lbs. Seems i remember the engine being 1300+ lbs and the Allison transmission at around 250 lbs. With the turbocharger it should haul though. It's still cheaper than race gas to drive and should get 20+ mpg. What did he do about the rear end gears? A 12 bolt will never hold up under 1000+ lb. ft. of torque, maybe time for a Dana 60 rear end housing.
It's a fabricated housing w/ a nine inch and 3.25 gears.

·
Premium Member
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The weak link is in the back pocket, this really is a car to see. Phenominal workmanship. Alot of forethought and one off pieces. Big wheels and all.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
The weak link is in the back pocket, this really is a car to see. Phenominal workmanship. Alot of forethought and one off pieces. Big wheels and all.
Sounds like a nice car Dan; tell him to keep that stinking, crap belching, smoke pot off the track. I hate to race on a track when diesels are racing also. At least this one will be fast, the worst is the knuckleheads who bring their 10,000 lbs tow vehicles out to race and get all excited when the things runs a 9.xxx.......in the 1/8th. You know who I am talking about Dan.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Sounds like a nice car Dan; tell him to keep that stinking, crap belching, smoke pot off the track. I hate to race on a track when diesels are racing also. At least this one will be fast, the worst is the knuckleheads who bring their 10,000 lbs tow vehicles out to race and get all excited when the things runs a 9.xxx.......in the 1/8th. You know who I am talking about Dan.
The scary part is the ones that run 9.xxx.....in the 1/4.

·
Premium Member
3,695 Posts
This Duramax doesn't smoke and runs 8.21 @ 165 Yep, 1/4 mile

·
Premium Member
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is a very nice truck. The one's John is talking about belong in the desert towing a boat or something. There's nothing like going down the track after a fresh coat of oil mist on the track. It's much like making a pass behind a front drive car that has just dragged water down the track with the front wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.