Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've seen them on ebay too. What bothers me is I couldn't find them for sale anywhere else and no reviews to speak of.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
I have looked at many tires in 15" sizes and have never heard of this tire. Dunlop did have their GT Qualifier line up that was so so. These look to have a far more sporty tread pattern and the asymmetrical design would likely mean there would be a left tire and a right tire, so you could not rotate.

Looking around a bit I found that these seem to be made in Japan. Also you can find the identical tire under the Sumitomo HTR2000 brand.

I've sent an email to Dunlop asking about the availability in North America. Perhaps if they saw enough interest they would produce the tires for us Muscle car guys.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Yes, avoid the Chinese tires. I have seen some crazy stuff with them. Some that wobble 1/2" side to side. We had one set that wouldn't stay balanced, dismounted them and they were full of black powdery flakes, the tire was coming apart internally.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are right..

I forgot about my West Lake tire experience years ago.. H rated but you could feel the tires ballooning out over 100mph..

·
Registered
6,197 Posts

·
Registered
6,925 Posts

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
Nothing wrong with either of those to me. In fact I run the S/T's. But, if those Dunlops were available I would run them. I like the tread pattern better, and there appears to be a greater contact patch vs the S/T's.
Hi Chris
the S/T's Tread Width = 8.2" with a T Speed Rating/118 mph and are only $ 135.xx each

the S/R's Tread Width = 8.8" with a H Speed Rating/130 mph and are $ 212.xx each

Looked at the Ebay site and did not see any details on the Dunlops
have only a S Speed Rating/112 mph
and a pic/looks doesnot necessary tell the whole story plus they cost $ 145.xx each

If I was Jeff I would be worried about the Mfg date of the Dunlops
and/or any tire I was going to buy if they were new or used

I run the M/T S/Rs # 6641s on the back of my 67
Mickey Thompson 6641: Sportsman S/R Radial 28" x 12" R x 15" LT | JEGS
and I have found them to have great wear and traction abilities
see my sig for my New Best Time at the Track with them
and they have been on my car since July 2011 ! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
No idea what kind of compound the Dunlops are, but the tread pattern on half the tire has very large tread blocks for great contact with the road. The SR's that you run have even more and for sure a relatively soft compound.

For me, I am not a fan of the tread look of the SR's, but if they had a 26.5x12.0-15, I'd seriously consider them. I do however think they are some softer sidewall construction which is great for drag racing, but not sure how they'd do on a road course.

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
Do not know what rubber compound or how soft or not the M/T S/Rs are

Since they are Radials the sidewalls are pretty stiff
compared to my M&H MSS001 Bias-Plys that wrinkle when I launch at the Track

Yes the Road Course aspect is another thing all together

1 - 15 of 15 Posts