Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where on the rear end housing is the code to determine what it is... the rear is still in the vehicle. Its a 12 bolt with boxed control arms and a sway bar, but im curious if its the original one or not... where should i look for the numbers? please help.

·
Premium Member
15,343 Posts
Joey,

Welcome BTW. You might want to get yourself a copy of Alan Colvin's book "Chevrolet by the Numbers 65-69" It is a much better reference than the other resto book you have. Good Luck.

------------------
Jeff Angerstein
ACES#841 TCG#158
68 SS396(454)
68 Pro Street
69 SSRS 396(427) 4spd
87 MC SS

My Chevs
My Favorite
Now they show you how detergents take out bloodstains, a pretty violent image there. I think if you’ve got a T-shirt with a bloodstain all over it, maybe laundry isn’t your biggest problem. Maybe you should get rid of the body before you do the wash

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Just FYI,

You really have to get the rear clean and scrub that axle tube to find the codes. Its indented so get rid of all the gunk on it.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
You need casting date also which will show the year is located on the center section on the cover side. It will be small raised letter and a few numbers on the triangular gusset close to the cover. For example J118 is Oct 11th 1968. This date normally is several days prior the rear assembly date (which doesn't show year)found stamped on the axle tube with the ratio code.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.