Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the factory "goop" on the tube coming out of the evaporator on an A/C car? If you have a factory AC car you know what i'm talking about... Im restoring the engine bay/AC system on my 69 Elky SS396 and would like to duplicate this stuff on my new evaporator... is it something i can buy in a hardware store or from a plumber or what? Kind of an odd question, but i KNOW someone out there can help me!

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
it is a strip caulking type material, it is available from www.eastwoodcompany.com part number 31050 20 yards of it is listed for 9.99, or any auto body supply place. roll it between your hands until it is pliable then press into place and mold it with your fingers.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Guys. The caulking the professor is talking about seems to be meant for seams or mounting rear lights and such. I had ordered the "goop" Joey is looking for from Year One. I have both types of caulking and they are not the same. I don't know why the A/C version is different, but I know it is.

Rob

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,687 Posts
You can also get it at body shop supply stores and some auto parts stores. It's a 3M product and is called strip caulk, I believe. Around $12 for many yards.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
i used it on my new a/c system, it comes in a roll like double sided tape but it's tar-ish stuff, just wrap it on and mash it down tight then add more if you wish. any a/c shop should have some

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought some of this stuff from a local A/C parts supply house. It was called "Permagum" and is used to cover the temperature probe from the expansion valve where it attaches to the evaporator outlet.

Wes Carroll

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I have some by 3M caled Strip-Calk. It comes in one foot strips about 3/8' wide total of 60 feet. Paint shop told me this is how clay for rubbing out clear coat was discovered. same stuff now it's white or gray in color and is expensive. I thin I paid $11 for this box.It's also called Dum Dum

------------------

·
Gold Founding Member
63,823 Posts
I *think* he is talking about the black cork tape on the suction line, not the caulking around the housing

You can get the "cork tape" at any HVAC parts suppier

It's made by a company called Virginia I think

I could go out and look on the box in my truck but I'm too lazy

{edit}
in fact, if this is what you are talking about, I can send you enough to do the job

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net

By the time you can make ends meet, they move the ends

[This message has been edited by Dean (edited 12-12-2001).]

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that is what im talking about, the stuff around the pipe, NOT the stuff to seal the box. You have mail.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
hey rusty66, the stuff I'm talking about is strip caulk that is used, and pictured in the eastwood catalog, to seal around the tubes as they pass through the firewall/box. it comes in a roll/strip. I cut off a length of it, rolled it between the hands to warm/loosen it up and then molded it around the pipes.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Joey you do understand that that dum dum actually has a mechanical purpose don't you? You are supposed to affix the sensing bulb from the expansion valve to that part of the evaporator tube and completely wrap the tube and bulb with that goop. It is an insulator at that point. It makes sure that the bulb is not exposed to underhood heat. That would make your expansion valve operate wrong. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I searched for awhile too, before I walked up to a Vintage Air booth at Carlisle and found the exact stuff I was looking for. It costs more than Strip Caulk, and is definitely not the same as SC. It's shiny black with bits of cork in it. Try Vintage Air (must have website).
Rich

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Dean" sent me some of this stuff and its EXACTLY what i need. looks and feels 100% like what the factory used... MUCH different than "strip caulk" or any other windshield product. Thank you Dean, you were a great help, this hobby needs more people like you! Anytime you need a favor, just ask, i owe ya one! - Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.