Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of going to dual quads....486ci, crower cam, 3" flow masters, rectangle port heads, 3.90 gears, 700 R4...or am I better of sticking with an 850 cfm single...I'm reading mixed results....

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I'll tell ya this, If you are going to ask any question here about "what do you guys think?" You are going to get several opinions. And who are these people? I dont know, You dont know who they are or what they know. Maby they know something maby they are smokin crack. However there are alot of guys that do know alot on this site. All of them seem to want to help out. Just a thought.

What I have always herd and personal delt with is, You can get as much power from a bigger than one of the dual carbs as using multipal carbs. Meaning running 2 650 double pumpers or a single 1150, the 1150 set up would yeild you as much if not more than the opposed set up. Also tuning multipal carbs can be an issue. I wont even get in to using 8 1 barels. Now that is a nightmare. You will use less gas to make the same power using a single carb. Plus the linkage is always some kind of problem getting it hooked up and operating proporly. There is no such thing as "bolt on"

But I Think nothing says vintage muscle than the look of multipal carbs. (Rat Fink) I have a 69 Elkey with a big block using a Tunnel Ram and 2 750 Holly Double pumpers and yes, the linkage was an issue. But that is almost always the 1st thing people comment on. I think it looks tits. We also managed to get it tuned and running at WOT as well as at an idle great. The engine produced 725 Hp and 723 ft/lbs max. At 3500 rpm the engine made 443 hp and 644 + FT/LBS.Would it make more power using a single 1150? maby. But the look of the car is what I wanted.
Is your car a street fighter or a quarter mile bullet ?
I say Build it like you want it.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
My biggest worry was getting them adjusted "right". This really proved to be no big deal especially since this car is strictly street. I doubt the car performs any better but it does look cool!:D

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
2 Th or should call you Doc. See that looks cool. On one of my 69 s I have the same set up Those are performer carbs right?
The only thing I dont like is there pinche air cleaner body. It need to be bigger/ longer.
How did you cope with the linkage. I ordered every bell and whistle with the kit and i still hade to have a custom cable and bracket made. $68.00. Getting it to work priceless. LOL

·
Registered
11,982 Posts
If it's looks or something different then 2 4's is cool. As far as performance you can get away with 1 carb. I only have 1 carb on my 540, and ran 1 850 on my 427. The 427 made 625 hp and the 540 makes 840.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts