Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I put a post in here asking for advice on setting up point dwell on a dual point distributor.I received a couple of replys and would like to thank those people.From one of those replys I got an idea and it worked really well.I removed the distributor from the car,hooked up a jumper wire about eight feet long from the distributor side of the coil to my distributor,and grounded it to the engine with a set of jumper cables.I took a piece of 5/16'' fuel line and slotted it so it would fit the oil pump drive end of the distributor.Then chucked the other end of the hose in a drill to spin the distributor.Then all I had to do was turn the key on and run the distributor on the bench and make the necessary adjustments.I then installed the distributor back in the car set the ignition timing and it runs great.I just thought I'd pass this on in case someone else has this problem.

------------------
66 El Camino 350 4 speed
68 Nova 454 4speed

·
Gold Founding Member
10,971 Posts
HUH?!?!?!?!

DAMN that's a lot of work to set dwell.

Take a piece of stiff paper, like a matchbook cover, slide it between one of the point sets. Connect a dwell meter as usual. Crank engine, read dwell meter for the "other" set of points. Adjust to whatever you want.

Move paper to the set of points you just adjusted. Crank engine, read dwell meter, adjust the working set of points.

Remove paper, crank engine, read dwell meter. Should have a few extra degrees of dwell.

(I know this because I used to dick with dual points. Now I have HEI. Much better.)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah your way sounds a lot simpler,the only thing is I couldn't see the dwell meter if I was cranking the engine.What kind of H.E.I. did you go to?

------------------
66 El Camino 350 4 speed
68 Nova 454 4speed

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
elkenova every gm product since god practically has a purple wire in the wiring harness on the firewall right by your brake master cylinder. This wire if you follow it to its terminus goes to the start terminal on the starter solenoid. Open the harness that is about an inch in diameter and pull the purple wire out far enough to shave a little insulation off of it till you can see the copper wire inside. Hook up your handy dandy remote starter between that bare copper and battery +. Now you can crank the engine to your hearts content while leaning on the fender looking at your dwell meter or doing a compression check or anything else you want to do while spinning the motor. As always be careful to put your transmission in park or neutral(if it is a stick) and set the emergency brake. When you are done simply put a bit of electrical tape on the bare spot till the next time you need it. That is one hell of a lot easier than pulling the dist each time you want to set dwell. A remote starter button is probably a ten spot at your nearest parts house. Its an invaluable tool in your tool box.

[This message has been edited by charbilly2001 (edited 11-03-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.