Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a 67 with a 327. Someone has installed a dual point. There is
no vacuum advance, is this normal? I get a
350 rpm drop from neutral to drive and was
wondering if this may be due to no vacuum
advance on this distributor. Also what is
the dwell and timing with this dual point.
Also do you know where I can get a chrome fan shroud?

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
Lose the dual point as this is certainly an antique type of technology. Get an HEI or pertronix or go back the single points system. The dual point systems are more trouble than they are worth. The stock Delco distributors can handle a lot of rpm .
Maybe you can trade the dual point dist for a chrome fan shroud.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with JWagner. I had a dual point on the 327 I had in a 68 Chevelle, and though it ran well most of the time, it wasn't easy to set up. HEIs are simple, reliable, and powerful. Af for the lack of a vacuum advance on your distributor, many companies did make distributors with a machanical advance.

·
Registered
13,307 Posts
If you will use a stock, point type, vacuum advance distributor with a PerTronix electronic conversion which is TOTALLY contained inside the dist cap, you will retain the stock appearance and have a 100% trouble free ignition. Have the distributor curve set to your engine needs, add a high output coil such as a MSD Blaster 2 or PerTronix Flame Thrower, and you are set. This will not be anything fancy, trick or complicated and it will take the least amount of room possible. and looks factory.

------------------

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.