Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never had wheels with that. I'm looking at 17 inch rallys, and all of them appear to be dual pattern.
5x4.75 and 5x5, or 5x4.50 and 5x4.75
All are either billet aluminum or steel.

I've heard they may be prone to crack. The bore is little bigger than my hub as well.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are and I want 'em.
I've got a 77 so a fat wheel and tire will fit. I want to keep the original feel of it, but modernize it a little. I can fit a 17x9 with pretty wide tires easily.

I really want the rally, but the dual pattern makes me a little shaky because I know absolutely nothing about them.

Back up plan is a "perfect fit" Magnum 500, styled like the 69/70 SS wheel. Nothing else I like comes with the right offset or backspacing.

Plan to lower an inch in back and 1 1/2 out front. Should sit like this when I'm done:

thanks to G3NUT for the pic

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Probably right Steve. My thoughts are geared towards the look of the wheel...you put a Circle Racing wheel beside all the other offerings and they look like they are made out of beer cans. Custom back spacing being available on the Circle's are a plus.
Unfortunately, quality often takes a backseat to price. Knowing where to stretch the budget will often pay dividends. Splurging on a few key items can make all the difference in the presentation of a build without busting a budget.

Steve R

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you guys think that the wheels should be safe for just regular cruising and maybe the occasional burnout or long distance trip?

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
So you guys think that the wheels should be safe for just regular cruising and maybe the occasional burnout or long distance trip?
Yes. Most of the chrome rally's I've seen are dual boot pattern. Dual bolt pattern aftermarket wheels have been common for many years. Would I put them on a race car, other than Weld Draglites, no. However, I wouldn't worry about them for your intended use.

Steve R

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you.

Do you think it matters that the center bore is 2.88 but my hubs are 2.75? Gonna be a little play there.

Forgive the silly question. This is my first dabble with aftermarket-non-factory wheels

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Thank you.

Do you think it matters that the center bore is 2.88 but my hubs are 2.75? Gonna be a little play there.

Forgive the silly question. This is my first dabble with aftermarket-non-factory wheels
If it mattered the aftermarket wheel manufacturers would have to make a specific wheel in every style, diameter, and backspace for each possible hub diameter.

Steve R

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like those too. If I still had my 63 Bel Air, I'd put those on it.

I'm trying to stay period correct-ish with the 77. Something available at the time, but with a modern twist.
In a perfect world, I could get the C3 Vette aluminum slots in 17s. I love those things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts