Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys..

It's been about a year and although I have enjoyed driving the wagon, made a trip with my girlfriend (now wife) from Chile to Argentina and drove it around 1300 miles. I'm still solving issues and still have a long list of to-do's on it.

My current problem is that the dual action tailgate is not working to open sideways. It was working flawlessly before the paint job so probably the paint shop moved something, but I've checked and tried a lot of things and can't figure it out.

I am not using the sideways open action because of the El Camino trim installed, which interferes with the door, So I wanted to do a little mod to the trim and when I went to open the door to check for clearance, it didn't work.

Nothing seem to be broken or missing, and if I manually operate the lower latch, the door opens (but to do that I need to have it open the regular way).

¿Any Ideas?

I attach a pic from our last Monthly meeting, last week.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
#1 First the El Camino trim on the door. Thats what I have. To have the trim clear the left side. You need the TWO short pieces of 1970 El Camino trim. El Caminos have TWO different lengths for trim. ( Caminos have a long & a short tailgate trim)
I have two pieces of the short trim on my door. Also when you mount them on the door, Offset them just a bit about 1/4" or 5/16" to the right. or 8-10 MM. TRIVIA: Factory tailgate trim pieces have an off set in the factory trim to clear the quarter panel. ( I made the El Camino trim work)
#2 Lay the door down like a tailgate, Remove the large cover panel,, Then remove the paper,, Next You will see two inspection panels, To remove the panels, LOOK CLOSE :nerd: You do not have to remove all four screws in each panel ,,JUST two screws LOOK CLOSE you will see slots, The inspection panels just slide off.
#3 JUST TO BE SAFE : I would put some milk crates and WEDGE SOME pillows UNDER the door, WHY ! ---- If you get inside the gate and MOVE the wrong safety lock out, You COULD have the whole dam door on the floor.
When you are inspecting the inside do not touch anything,, JUST LOOK for something that does not LOOK RIGHT. Maby a clip came off of a rod, A rod may have broken, Broken return spring. Many things to look for.
The two way doors have MANY<<MANY<<MANY adjustments,, So just look and get back to us.
I and others have books from Chevrolet on how the two way gate function. Just be very cautious when playing with the inside of the gate.
Let the folks on T-Chevelle know what you SEE.
Bob
The FAR RIGHT lift up latch has a cable attached, Along with a rubber grommet. NOTE: When the gate is CLOSED and the window is down, LOOK and see IF the cable is still attached to the handle, When the door is down and apart look to see if this cable is attached inside the door, When the door is down like a tailgate DO NOT LIFT this handle.:crying::crying::crying:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robinls5,

Thank you very much for your help. I will do as you say as soon as possible.

Last night I was doing something else on the wagon and played around a little with the tailgate and found out the following.

- If I open it as a normal tailgate, after I close it I can't open it sideways
- If, after I close the tailgate pull the rear window up, and then down again, I can open it sideways.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
You may a safety loc/out that is out of adjustment. Something may be broken,, Needs some oil/grease, Dirt removed, and " ?????? ".
I would ,, Take the inspection plates off. Clean out the bottom of the gate. And THEN,,, Do a big inspection. :nerd::surprise::nerd::surprise:
Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts