Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys i finally dropped it down. i thought i has a empty tank... cuz my car wouldnt start up with the rebuilt carb. so i figured i was out of gas. i dropped it today to find nothign wrong with my tank. AND! IT WAS FULL OF GAS LIKE TO THE TOP! so i pulled out the sending unit and the filter was ripped on the inside. so i could have a plugged fuel line or my fuel pump went out. but either way, i almost bought another tank! but mines is in good condition! so either way if i get a new pump and sending unit ill probably still be just under or right at 100$ which is what i was gonna pay for another tank. man...made my day!:hurray: :hurray:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yes, but did you find your build sheet? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i know the biuld sheet wasnt there the mate checked and it wasnt there.. oh well i know miner is a REAL SS i know where all the original parts are. well now to get the new sending unti and get my car back on the road.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the sending unit.
You can buy a new sock from GM.
The sending unit does not send gas to the carb. The fuel pump does.
If you're not getting fuel at the carb, it is probably a bad fuel pump.

Did you put the inlet fuel filter in the carb backwards??? I'll bet you did !

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
How did you not know it was full? I suspect you will find the problem with your fuel pump. You could rig up a simple gas tank from a gas can to test the pump. If it works, perhaps the problem is with the fuel line?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A full tank of gas is nearly 200 lbs. How the heck did you get it out of there full? It's not the easiest to do when it's empty.
cuz im just a baaaad dude! :cool: hahah j/k well the last i drove the car i had to get towed home... and that when i found i had a leak. the whole way home it was leaking gas . and when i rebuilt my carb and primed it up the car would die as soon as the gas in the carb burned off. so i figured i was out of gas... but when me and my buddy were dropping the tank down, gas came out as we used a jack to help lower it. we let the gas drip out slowly.... we figured there couldnt be much in there and then when we fully dropped it we noticed how heavy it was, and also we saw how full it was.

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
A full tank of gas is nearly 200 lbs. How the heck did you get it out of there full? It's not the easiest to do when it's empty.
Getting it out isn't a problem. (gravity) Getting it back in is a b#[email protected]

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
If leaking out the line... is it possible that the line cracked open and you have been sucking air instead of gas?

That is still one heck of a wrestling match to get a full tank out of an Elky... even with gravity you still have to deal with the fuel filler pipe that runs OVER the frame.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I know just what you mean. Yep, '71 and later had 5/16 lines coming out each front corner and a 3/8 line coming out the front middle of the tank. These were part of the evaporative emission control tank venting system. I just put one of these in my '68 along with the block box that went over the top center of the tank.

If your vent lines were all plugged, then you must still be running a vented gas cap.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah i do have a vented cap... what about a fuel sock? i need a new one... but how do they go on? it looks like where the fitting is mounted to the sock is one piece? my sock is ripped to shreds.. how do you do it?

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Rather than messing with the sock you could just put in a filter. Especially a clear housing filter so you can see how much crud is inside.

The socks vary... I have a repro pickup that the sock was just stuck on the tubing. I was able to pull it off just by a bit of twisting. The pickup in my old tank however seemed to be quite different. That sock was not going to come off any time soon.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
it was leaking from the main fuel line.. the fuel hose was brittle. so I think thats where it was leaking. I noticed when i had it towed that it was leaking from the front of the tank.
Rob,
this is what I kept trying to tell you from day one of this tank ordeal.
I suspected the line was leaking as I had the tank leak on me too, but only when I filled it up.

I wouldn't put a fuel filter on the sender. Unless you want to drop the tank to replace it every 12,000 miles as recommended. :sad:

I believe the sock just presses on.
Get the sock from the GM dealer parts dept.

or you could buy this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/68-7...ryZ10076QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

On the subject of the 3/8" fuel line. There are different grades of fuel line. The el cheapo rubber line you buy at a typical auto parts store may not last more than a couple years with the fuel we have here in CA.
For this application, I'd look into using some of that fuel injection high pressure hose. It's expensive , but it would last longer by far.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well I guess I should just get a new fuel sender.do I have to get one for a 71 tank or will a 68-72 work as long as it has a return line? hey nate do you remember which fuel pump is on the car? i havent had a chance to look yet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.