Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 72 with a lowered front end, while i love the high speed effect it has, my damn headers are always draging if im not real careful, it even keeps me out of my own driveway! can someone advise?

------------------

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 72 has the stock front end and in rough riding my Hookers touch down as well. The options I see for my Malibu are:
Back to ex. manifolds
Custom made headers
Stiffen up the front to the point it doesn't move
Live with it

So far I seem to have chosen the last one...
I think that they hang down this far to be installable (not sharply angled) with the motor in. Not sure. I'm pondering going back to manifolds. It sure would make getting at those spark plugs easier.
Does anyone out there have a better option?
What kind of hp do headers really free up? At what hp point are the really necessary?

Later
Rob
1BADS72

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 72 that is lowered in the front because i installed moroso trick springs and it never crossed my mind it would drop it so low but i had the header problem before i put in the springs my driver side header tubes are crushed pretty badly i really dont know what to do to take care of it other then buying shorty headers or manifolds. you could try welding or bolting on some home made skid plates i am about to try this when i buy my new headers if you dont want to try any of that all i can say is live with it

Godluck
Charles

·
Registered
636 Posts
L89 is right, raise it back up to a normal ride height. That would solve two problems.

------------------

·
Gold Founding Member
1,349 Posts
Another thing to consider stock ride height
are the springs old and possibly weak how about the shocks my 69 has the same problem but I know the springs are weak in the front
also check the shocks MIKE

·
Registered
548 Posts
Know what you mean I have that problem as well speed bumps are a pain in the a** as well as the headers.So I go slow and attack them at an angle seems to help.But it is not as bad as a friends pro streeter he had a set of headers made all 4 pipes are side by side and it still drags going in the garage unless he puts down 2 planks to run the wheels on to rise the car.I am going to change springs to gain an 1 or 2 should help. I kind of like the way it sits but hate that scraping sound. I also need a little more pos.camber...FRED

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Dallas, how did you lower your Chevelle? dropped spindles? springs? If springs, which ones? My 68 Elky with 468" and Hookers has 2"shorter BB springs from Coil Spring Specialties and 25" diameter 235-45x17 BFG tires on the front. It doesn't touch the headers very often since changing to the stiffer springs. Another option is to purchase a set of Hedman or Sanderson shorty headers. Then, you could really put the car in the weeds. The jacked-up look of the '60's is gladly gone. E-mail me if you have any further questions. Every car I have is lowered.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hey Clint 44 don't be so harsh, some of us backwards people like the jacked up 60's look.Don't worry, we may soon grow out of it.

------------------

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well just so happens I reading a Rod & Custom magazine and there is an add for "Air Ride Technologies" Phone # 812-482-2932 there in Jasper, IN. . The add has 64 to 72 chevelles! and it says air bags for the front end!...hope this helps! it looks pretty cool!

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you want the back end up do you drop the front or raise the back? I wanted the back end up a bit on my 72 Chevelle - my brother suggested air shocks. Ideas?

------------------

·
Registered
63 Posts
Anne-Don't do it!!!!
Shocks have a specific purpose, to stabilize the ride by limiting travel after bumps. The core of the ride height is the springs. If you attempt to gain rear end heighth with the air shocks, you will sacrifice ride quality. I tried to use mine to give clearance for a set of meats. It got ugly, quick. My .02: Park it somewhere that you can walk around the car and scope out your ground clearance and general vehicular attitude. Take into consideration what the springs are like on the car now, then decide whether you want to raise the rear, lower the front, or a little of each.
If you lower the front, be aware: lowered spindles may not give adaquate clearances, I may be mistaken but I recall the conversion including brake discs off a late 70's Malibu.
I personally chose to change out the standard rear springs to that of an EC and possibly install air bags. Xmas zapped the budget, so will have to wait til spring to find out more.

Good luck!

------------------
Later,

Rob
1BADS72

·
Registered
622 Posts
Anne, I agree with 1BADS72; look it over and decide what YOU want to do, how YOU want it to look. Lowering the front can cause problems - some people have re-raised their vehicles for clearance. I have air bags in the rear of my Elky and like em. I can raise or lower at will within reason.

------------------

·
Registered
44 Posts
I didn't like the stock ride height of stock springs so I brought them back to Advance Auto and used their book to find a set of springs with the same lbs/inch rating but with a higher ride height. I did this two years ago and am very happy with the results and have had no problems. I happen to be one of those who like the 60's & 70's jacked up look. I also had air shocks and junked those in favor of koni gas-a-just shocks. Happy New Year Everyone! Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Sanderson or Hedman shorty headers will cure your exhaust system/ ground clearance problems. The collectors are higher than the bottom of the oil pan, allowing one to really tuck the exhaust up and out of harm's way. Leave your car low if you like it that way. If I can help any further, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Stiffer springs and new shocks helped my lowriding 69 SS. I'm running Hedman hedders too. I remember when I had my Chevelle set up like a gasser back in the late 60s early 70s! It looked like it had a straight axel!! How far we've come!! ( I still like that gasser look though!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.