Team Chevelle banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Rebuilding my suspension is going to be a piecemeal process for financial reasons. I'm working with my '68 El Camino factory SS, 396 powered family hot rod. I plan on coilovers on all 4 corners and I plan to drop the ride height by 2" on both ends. On the front, should I use the coilovers to drop the height, or should I use a drop spindle? My intuition says use the drop spindles as that will keep the front end geometry correct after the drop and later when I add the tubular control arms and sway bars and other bits and pieces, I won't have to make any corrections to keep things talking to each other correctly. Comments?

Doc

Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
Definitely spindles. Factory geometry is trash, if you lower the car with factory setup you'll be plagued with positive camber problems. Drop spindles will allow you to keep alignment somewhat normal. I ran the same as you with putting pieces together on a budget.

Main thing to remember is the factory suspension geometry needs help. The height of the spindle is shorter than the a-arm bushing connections making the suspension a mess. You get 3.5 degrees positive camber from full droop to full compression. If you're going to run wide tires/rims make sure you account for the camber as it will push the tires into the outer wheel well under compression.

To fix this you need to run tall spindles which cost a fortune or go with taller ball joints. You cannot run tall ball joints with factory a-arms, they will bind and break.

Registered
I鈥檓 using 2 inch drop spindles and coil overs up front and using 2 inch drop springs in the back. Shocks are DA on all four corners. I know you have a 鈥楥amino but might get the same stance. I was getting the same stance though using big block springs and non adjustable shocks prior up front. The drop spindles are the way to go and then go from there.
Cheers

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, folks. O鈥 will be going with drop spindles for lowering, but will use coil overs for any fine tuning I need in ride height. The primary reason for coil overs is for handling. Thanks for everyone鈥檚 help. Retnuh22, nice looking stance!

Registered
What drop spindles are you looking at?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
What drop spindles are you looking at?
Wilwood, CP, RideTec or maybe OER. They'll be steel or Ductile Iron and not cast iron. Probably steel. But I'm in the middle of a transmission swap and a bunch of other nits that need attention, so I'm not ready to buy just yet. I'll turn my attention to the suspension as soon as I can. Money, you know?
Doc

Registered
Here's another vote for the 2" drop spindles with coilovers. You'll like being able to adjust the ride height. Plus they are easier and safer to install/remove than the stock springs. Good luck!

Registered
Wilwood, CP, RideTec or maybe OER. They'll be steel or Ductile Iron and not cast iron. Probably steel. But I'm in the middle of a transmission swap and a bunch of other nits that need attention, so I'm not ready to buy just yet. I'll turn my attention to the suspension as soon as I can. Money, you know?
Doc
I may have a pair of CPP spindles for sale. Let me know.

Registered
i looked at all kinds of drop spindles and really..... they appear all the same i got mine off ebay for 125.00 for a pair of them...search search search you'll see..can you really tell me each retailer has its own manufacturer...especially when they mostly come from china?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts