Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 Malibu car that has original rear end and 3:31 gears, 350 transmission. The original block but motor was built for a supercharger setup. Runs great but high rpm on the highway...what is the better solution to able to cruise better?
Thanks
Bobby

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks does it require.. Computer controls and electronics?
nope, the electronic version of the 700r4 is the 4l60e. It isn't super easy, needs a driveshaft cut or special tail housing among other minor modifications. Depending on the power you would need to make sure the 700 has the upgrades people have learned to correct early tranmission damages. People say 700's and 4l60e's are junk. They got a bad rap over the years until people corrected the design flaws... I'm by no means an expert, I want to hear others chime in..

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
350 tranny with 331 gear ??
Idk man. Sounds like a pretty low spinner to me . You gotta be 2300 at 60 mph .
If that's too much then I'd agree with the suggestion on the 700r4.
No computer required.
First gear in that tranny quite a bit more "pep" than the 350 tranny lol

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
700r4 isn't "junk"
Alot of guys don't like em because there is a pretty big ratio drop from 1 to 2 shift so for a race application that might not be optimal.
They can be worked to race with though.
I think for what you're looking for it would be perfect and you can buy them reasonable

·
Registered
272 Posts
700r4 isn't "junk"
Alot of guys don't like em because there is a pretty big ratio drop from 1 to 2 shift so for a race application that might not be optimal.
They can be worked to race with though.
I think for what you're looking for it would be perfect and you can buy them reasonable
Racers tend to use the 2.84 gear for the drop correction.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Oh ok I didn't know that .
Makes sense . For some reason I thought they went shorter with second gear and left 1st alone .
Course 2.84 is pretty deep versus a stock 2.52 in a 350

·
Registered
Ryan
584 Posts
Describe “high RPM on the highway”. 3.31 shouldnt be spinning super fast. I suspect 1 of 2 things:

1. you’re used to modern cars ultra low RPM and not used to the buzz of an old car at speed

2. Very inefficient torque converter.

·
Registered
715 Posts
If you are going to changes transmissions why not go to a tremec and make it a stick. If your spending money might as well add value.. just my two cents

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
A tremec standard transmission would add value to the car .
It would potentially be worth more money and you'd have the gearing you want versus sinking the money into a 700r4

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Not necessarily cheaper or easier but wouldn’t a Gear Vendor overdrive unit get you where you want to go.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Not necessarily cheaper or easier but wouldn’t a Gear Vendor overdrive unit get you where you want to go.
I considered that myself. Gear vendors.
its way not necessarily cheaper And not only that there's potential fitment issues and balancing issues with those. It could work good but I personally opted not to chance it .

·
Registered
715 Posts
4 speed cars if you go to sell bring about 10-20% more money than an auto. Nature of beast with muscle cars. Some people like automatics but my choice would be to change it to a 5 speed tremec.
Add value? How?

Reactions: Aml383

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
My 70 with a TH350, good converter, 3.00 rear, 28" tire is 85mph at 3000rpm. I cruise all day long.

Mike

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Guys we don't know what RPM the OP finds objectionable or at what speed, we don't know anything about the converter and we don't know anything about tire size. Already we are thinking / talking gear vendors, 5 Speeds and who knows what else that didn't yet get posted.

I think we need some more data first. As mentioned above if this car was set up for a blower maybe the converter is not highway friendly? Maybe the gears are not really 3.31, I think that fact should be verified along with defining how much RPM is too much RPM and @ what highway speed the objection is being noted before we advise major mods like Gear Vendors / 5 Speeds etc etc.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
Lack of information like "O'Man" says

Need a lot more from OP
1. Purpose of Car
2. Engine Size eg. SBC or BBC
3. Verify Tach is working correctly
4. Verify Converter Stall
5. Verify Trans Type
6. Verify Trans is going into 3rd/High Gear
5. Verify RearEnd Gearing Ratio
6. Wheel/Tire Sizes
7. What RPM in 3rd/High Gear at what Hwy Speed

And for an example my BBC at 2,650 RPMs is going 60 MPH in 3rd/High Gear
TH 400 3 Speed Auto / 3.70 RearEnd Gear Ratio / 27.8" Diameter Tires on 15" Wheels

Reactions: Aml383

·
Registered
25 Posts
It would be very unusual for a Malibu with a 350 and TH350 to have left the factory with 3.31 gears. Most were 2.73 or 2.56.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts