Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I want to drive my Chevelle, especially after I put this new engine in it. BUT, it will be several months before I am able to put it in the body shop to have it cleaned and painted. Actually, it might be longer than that. The car is currently one color, with several spots of surface rust, and I've got some bubble rust near the rear windows (On my wagon). What do I need to do to keep driving this, without the rust getting worse? They are just little spots, but from what I've heard those little spots can grow in a hurry. What to do? I'm very very worried about this. Ideas?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I would recommend that you sand rust spots down to the metal, get ALL of the rust out. And then spray it with some primer. Doesn't matter if it's not that great. Just some metal primer in a spray can to keep it sealed up.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
CST Kelsey
'71 Malibu soon to be 454!
http://member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/Chris'sPage

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
Most primers will not stop rust. It needs to be cleaned up as Chris stated and after priming spray on some paint. It may not look pretty, but could save you money on the body repair in the future.

There are some primers that will seal out the moisture, they are more costly and I don't know if they come in spray cans.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by 64elcamino (edited 07-22-99).]

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
cc,
A couple of months of driving are not going to make any difference in the rust situation. It has probably gone 20 years, a while more will not change anything unless you plan on driving in the surf at Atlantic City ! Enjoy the car until you can get it to the body shop. My experience is that most body shops would rather you not do any repairs if they are going to do the entire repaint, it actaully makes thier job harder.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Or if it's going to be a real long time, get those spots down to metal. Blast them with Extend or other rust neutralizer, and then prime over it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
go to a welding equipment supply house and buy a can of spraygalv, follow directions. it will have to be sanded down before you spend money on a good paint job but it will help you for the time being. remember rust never stops and the sooner you deal with it the better off you will be. good luck

·
Registered
227 Posts
I agree with Bill K, the short amount of time you are talking isn't going to make any difference to the car or the body shop doing the work. However, you will make more work for them if you grind it out and prime it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've got a really rusty El Camino and have some experience with rust prevention. If you can poke a hole in the rust bubble (through the metal) then you've got to cut the rust out. If it's just surface rust, sand it down to bare, shiny metal and spray some coats of rustoleum on it but keep an eye on it.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think driving with rust is an issue. After all they sell them that way new in New Jersey, New York and Pa. Pre-dented and pre-rusted on the lot new, what a bargin!

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.