Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning up some stuff on my '66, and I am wondering what to do for the driveshaft and the steering shaft.

These are both currently painted, so they need to be stripped. But not sure how sanding will affect the look.

To be honest, this is NOT a show car, just something I figured I'd clean up as I am reassembling.

If I need to sand, how will I achieve a semi-correct finish? I will eventually replace the 3 paint stripes.

Can/should I use a light coat of paint? Something like eastwoods "stamped steel look" paint ( I know "cast" iron won't look right). And then protection, some sort of satin clear?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,928 Posts
It depends on how involved you want to get???????????????
Here is what I did with my D. Shaft. Had it glass beaded, Painted it with the " Stainless paint, Then, Painted the weld yokes with cast blast type paint. Then get a can of dark blue spray paint, MASK up the shaft so,,, JUST the two welds show----- Spray some blue spray paint at a DISTANCE,,, So the welds have the look of some blue " Hot Spots "-- here and there. We are almost done!
Then, Two jackstands with towels in the grooves. With the shaft masked up,, Paint the correct stripes. ( mine had three, Yellow-Blue-Orange) My 70 driveline is the G.M.= 3-R. I used SIX colors of paint on my drive shaft. In the weld yoke holes where the liquid Nylon was, I cut little pieces of RED, Weed wacker string and glued them in the holes of the weld yokes.
After the finished new lookin " 3-R " driveshaft is ready to be attached to the 454-M-22-70, One last detail.... Small brush and some cast blast, PAINT the inside snap rings on the shaft to help hide them.
It will take some time to do this,,,,,, BUT,,,,,, The results are wonderful!
Bob

Reactions: davewho1

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
I clamped 4 x4 blocks to a pair of saw horses. Cut a V into the block to hold the shaft. Used a palm sander to knock off 50 years of corrosion, painted my stripes and then coated with a clear coating of rust preventive.
I also recently came aware of Evapo-Rust. Place the shaft into a PVC tube, cap one end and fill with ER. Give it 24 hours and its clean. Rinse with water, dry, paint.
I recently bought some ER at Pep Boys. If you order on line its about $17 a gallon. Picked up at my local PB. Stuff works great.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?840364&p=6141164#post6141164

1 - 3 of 3 Posts