Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after several comments of "Hey dude, your left brake light ain't workin'!", I decided to take a look at it. I pulled the lens off and taaaadaaaa the brake light bulb was blown. So I replaced it. Well, the light still didn't work.
I then swapped a known good bulb from the passenger side. Still no light. I have no brake light and no turn signal light on the driver's side. I haven't checked the back up lights (which might not work anyway, cuz I put a floor shifter in and didn't hook the backup light switch up to it. I guess I could drop the column shifter knob down to reverse to test it, couldn't I?)
I have access to a test light and possibly a multimeter. I'm not real swift electrically, but I'm learning. I also have a 70 Chevelle wiring diagram around here. What steps should I go through to eliminate certain things and get this taillight assembly functional?
I'm getting tired of humming "Any Which Way You Can" and telling myself to give it a "Left turn Clyde!" when I go around a corner. Thanks!

------------------
Justin Wray
Fathom Blue 1970 Malibu daily driver
1/8th mile best of 8.70 on full tread DOT tires. 1/4 mile equivalent is 13.50's
Still tuning for 8.30 in the 1/8th or 12.99 in the 1/4. Whichever comes first...

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You have a meter, good.
There are two round contacts in the center of the light bulb socket. One is for the running lights (brown) and one is for both the turn signals & brakes (yellow). They share the same contact.
1, With your meter measure each one. Put the negative side of the meter to a good ground on the frame, not the socket.
2, Pull the headlights on. One of the contacts should give you 12 volts since you don't have a running light problem. This will also tell you which contact is which.
3, Have someone step on the brakes. Check the other contact the same way. Have 12 volts? If yes, put a bulb back in. Using a jumper wire touch the bulb metal base right near the glass with one end. Touch the other end of the jumper to the good frame ground you were using. Step on brakes. If the bulb now lights up, it's a bad socket ground.
4, If you didn't get 12 volts at the other socket contact above, under the dash, top of the column, there's a flat connector with around 8 wires in it. This is the turn signal connector. Step on the brake and measure both the green (right) and the yellow (left) wires. they should both have 12 volts a good ground.
This should get you started.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John! I'm not at home with the car today, but as soon as I can, I'm gonna check it out. I hate electrical problems!

------------------
Justin Wray
Fathom Blue 1970 Malibu daily driver
1/8th mile best of 8.70 on full tread DOT tires. 1/4 mile equivalent is 13.50's
Still tuning for 8.30 in the 1/8th or 12.99 in the 1/4. Whichever comes first...

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I hate the problems too. What I hate worse is having somebody charge me a couple of hundred bucks to fix a loose wire. Two hundred bucks on a Saturday night will buy....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts