Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing research for my 1970 Chevelle SS In Detail book and am looking for information on non-SS drive shafts. I know most (maybe all?) SS optioned Chevelle drive shafts have 3 stripes, typically at least one of them orange. My question is does anyone have photos, or are fairly certain, if non-SS drive shafts also have 3 stripe colors? Two colors would be called out on the build sheet (like SS Chevelles) but was a third stripe added?

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I'm doing research for my 1970 Chevelle SS In Detail book and am looking for information on non-SS drive shafts. I know most (maybe all?) SS optioned Chevelle drive shafts have 3 stripes, typically at least one of them orange. My question is does anyone have photos, or are fairly certain, if non-SS drive shafts also have 3 stripe colors? Two colors would be called out on the build sheet (like SS Chevelles) but was a third stripe added?
My wife has my mom's 1970 Malibu, it was a TX car, and in the family since 1975. It is rust free, not undercoated, and if there are stripes on the driveshaft, they will be visible. I'll ask my wife to look at it with me tonight, I am colorblind and would not be able to see the stripes or tell you what color they are!

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife has my mom's 1970 Malibu, it was a TX car, and in the family since 1975. It is rust free, not undercoated, and if there are stripes on the driveshaft, they will be visible. I'll ask my wife to look at it with me tonight, I am colorblind and would not be able to see the stripes or tell you what color they are!
Appreciate it, thank you. The colors themselves, I would guess Pink/Orange or Brown/Pink depending on engine and trans. What I'm looking for, specifically, on a small block non-SS is there a third stripe and its color - if determinable.

Is this an Arlington-built car or has it just been in Texas most of its life so it should be readable?

Thank you again for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
The wife got home late last night and was not in the mood to come out to the garage to look at her car.

The Texas couple moved to PA in 1975 and traded the Malibu in at the local Pontiac dealer. My Dad saw it as he drove by the dealership everyday and bought it before it was detailed for $1400.00! I'll check the VIN, but I think I remember it being a Texas born car. The underside is like new and my mom never took this car out in the snow. We bought the Malibu from my parents in 2001 and it has been on the stacker most of its life. She still has all of her original sheet metal as well.

We will get to the driveshaft stripes this weekend, sorry for the delay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts