Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a hood pin kit. I have a 72 SS. But I dont have the holes for the pins. Has anyone done this? What procedure should I follow to make sure I drill a hole where the pin goes. What about warpage? When I paint my car, will the paint spread away from the drilled holes?
Jon

·
Registered
51 Posts
You take the pins and install them into the frame... Then you take the hood.... and slam it down!!! That'll mark the drill holes!!

------------------
Scott, 20
Dallas, 70 Chevelle Malibu

·
Registered
246 Posts
I take it you have the domed SS/no pins hood now. Why would you want to risk it for hood pins? I personally think they're a pain in the butt since my cowl induction has them. I'd suggest a re-evaluation here.

[This message has been edited by Kevin (edited 12-10-99).]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, they might get to be a pain when opening the hood after awhile. It just looks so good on a muscle car. It gives an added feature from other cars. Does the cable scratch your hood at all?
Jon

·
Registered
740 Posts
My friends 72 camaro has them i dont' like them and yes they will probably scratch your hood. I never liked them because it really isn't a lock so much as a something to hold em down i just put a big ol lock on my hood and i like the look of the shielded lock hanging down i think that looks better

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have them on my El Camino. Yeah, the cable will scratch the paint. I flip them up so that the don't touch the paint. Its not too much of a pain to undo the pins when I want to open the hood. Plus I really like the way they look.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa.
1972 El Camino
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673
Favorite Quote: Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Jon,
I would do it similar to the way speedr suggests, but with just a little variation. I WOULDN'T SLAM THE HOOD, unless maybe you want to mark AND punch the holes in one swift move!
But, seriously, install the pins first (some frames already have the holes and some just have the indentions). After you drill the pin hole (not the 4 screw holes), close the hood and check if the pin comes through the center. If not, it's OK to elongate the hole in the hood because the round plate will cover a mistake (up to a point, it won't cover up a 3in hole). Then use the round plate as a template to locate the screw holes.

TIP: Use the round plate to locate the first hole. Install a screw, loosely, then drill the opposite hole and then tighten those 2 screws first, to pull the plate down good, then drill the last 2 holes.
Don't overtighten the screws, the sheetmetal can strip out easily. These plates don't hold the engine in the car, they're just for looks. ----------read Ken's comments below about drilling the first hole with a small drill, then close and check pin alignment with the hole. Good advice. Way to go Ken.

Personally, I like the pins. Yes, it takes a couple of extra seconds to remove/replace the cable clips in the pins. But this is a classic Chevelle, not Dad's Olds.

------------------
Tom Parsons

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 12-10-99).]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Set the pins and then use a tri-square to carefully measure where you should drill. Use a very small bit to drill the first hole. Again go very carefully up in size of bits to enlarge the hole. Remember, measure twice, cut once. As to the guy that told you to slam the hood down to mark the holes, I will hold back my comment on that, but I would be interested to see his car. Good luck

------------------

·
Registered
337 Posts
Don't worry about the cables scratching the hood, they won't they are coated with clear plastic for this reason.
In the 15 years iv'e had them iv'e never got a scratch.
Look under the hood on either side, there should be an oval shaped hole there. This is where the pins go through. There should also be a round indentation on each side of the radiator support, this is where the pins are bolted to. First bolt on the pins, "you may have to drill holes" then line them up with the hood, then drill.

Good luck.

Jeff Litka

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Worry about the cables scratching. I had mine on for about 2 weeks before I notice that the paint was startign to get marks. Even though they are coated in plastic it doesn't solve all the probelms

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa.
1972 El Camino
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673
Favorite Quote: Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I do have the holes in the radiator support beam. I was thining of installing the pins then putting some chalk on top of the pins. I would close the hood and that would mark the point which I need to start to drill. Just a way not to damage my hood. I thought about the slammin down thing, but I decided I didnt want my hood to look like a pair of hooters....Those r for the passenger seat...

Jon

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Jon,
If your car already has the holes for the hood pins, then it SHOULD also already have the little holes for the screws that hold the cable clamps. These 2 small holes are inboard of the pin holes several inches about where the inboard corners are of the section of raised hood that protrudes forward (did I say that clear?). Just inboard of the headlight bezels.

------------------
Tom Parsons

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.