Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered (and received) an intereior package from Ausley's Chevelle Parts for my '66 Super Sport. I plan on having the headliner professionally installed. The material that I received is manufactured by PUI and came in two large pieces, niether of which are large enough to use alone. My question is: Is there a one piece headliner available? Or, did I receive the wrong one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Administrator
16,167 Posts
The PUI headliner I recieved for my 70 was in one piece. I put it in myself and was never happy with its loose, wrinkled look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a 1966 Chevelle SS. I bought a big chevelle interior package from Original Parts Group. I assisted an a professionalon my car, and it isnt as hard as you think. I dont know anything about a two piece headline, but a good tip is to take a look at the holes that the medal bows go into. Be sure to put the bows in the same holes when you install the headliner. Good luck on the rear window headliner trim.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My PUI headliner came in two pieces. One piece which is the headliner itself with the sleeves attached to it to slide the bows through and another very large piece to use in recovering the ear muffs. I installed it myself. It took some time and patience to get it just right, but it looks great.

[This message has been edited by Joe (edited 05-10-99).]

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I also bought a headliner from Ausley's for my 70 Chevelle. I never unrolled the fabric. Just dropped the car and the box off my local auto trim shop and picked the car up 2 hours later. I do know there was enuff material to cover the visors and the sail panels. The trim shop did the sail panels for free.

I still need to drop the visors off to be stiched.

------------------
DG :)
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu
[email protected]
www.wright.edu/~s001dga/chevy.htm

·
Registered
313 Posts
My kit, not yet installed, also has two pieces. Bought it from Hinshaw's and he explained the extra material is for recovering the sun visors, as stated above. Ear muffs were already covered.
John Walker

·
Registered
84 Posts
Supervise your interior shop!!!! Not all understand how to do an older style headliner. So many these days are shell types with glued in material.

I had my 70 done last month. The job was OK, but not perfect. I had some words with the installer and he admitted that he hadn't been very experienced in this type of installation.

The sail panels (muffs) in the rear have to be done properly or they will bend in the wrong direction and a gap between the headline and the panel will occur. Also, don't let them spray 3M adhesive on the panel and then press the material on. The glue will pop thru the material holes and look like hell. I had them recover the panels after we sprayed the mistake black. Only spreay on the back side and fold over the material to secure.

also, your new material will have creases in it. Unfold it and lay it out flat for a few days otherwise the material crease will show for a long time.

Finally. Make sure the installer doesnt loose screws, understands how to properly reinstall all the plastic around the rear window, above the door, over the windshield and check that he didn't stretch it too tight and elongate the material air holes.

All these things I had to have the installer redo to some degree or another.

------------------
members.tripod.com/dfdolerjr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.