Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I replaced my altenator with a new one. Ever since that the battery seems to be draining. If my el camino sits for over say 30 hours the battery does not have enough power to start the engine. I took the altenator and battery to the autoparts store and had them both tested and they said they where both fine. I come to believe that there is a burn out part in the altenator, like maybe a diode that is causing a drain on my battery. Does anyone know anything about this? Is there a way I can test the altenator myself for current draw or a bad diode when the engine is off? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

------------------

Michael

1968 El Camino
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/mineryhomepage/index.html

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Mike
If you are going to let the car sit a few days, disconnect the alternator connectors. If the battery is OK after a few days, I'd still suspect the alternator, no matter what the shop says. A shorted diode will definitely drain your battery.
rick

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Voltage regulator ?

If you still have the stock voltage regulator connected, this would also be a suspect as sometimes the little armature inside sticks, resulting in a current drain from the battery.

------------------
Always remember you're unique...just like everyone else.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the same problem on my 1968 Elky - about drove me nuts. I switched to internal regulator type and started having this problem. Alternator tested fine at shop so I kept on searching. Ended up, it was a bad alternator shorting to ground. Try as suggested above and disconnect the alternator and see what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts