Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle SS 454
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am removing the front piece that holds the radiator and exchanger for the A/C. To do this I will need to disconnect the A/C lines. Therefore, I need to first drain the A/C system. It is currently charged with
R-134A.

Should I take it someplace to be evacuated? The car is somewhat in pieces (no lights, turn signals, grill, bumper, etc.), but I could drive it if really necessary.

Is this toxic to the air like R-12?

I know I should not touch or get near the gas as it expands from the valve. Are there other precautions?

Recommendations?

Thanks.

John

------------------
John M. Usher
Starkville, MS
1969 SS 396/325
TC#147 / ACES #3063

·
Registered
283 Posts
Find a friendly A/C shop and have them draw a vacuum in one of those 20# containers that they are throwing away, get a hose with the proper fittings they may loan you one or I have seen singles at the parts store, attach it to your system and let it suck most of the material out,close the valve when pressure equalizes. It won't get all of it but will get most of it. Just don't tell any Eco-Commies what you did.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette,71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
336 Posts
put some leather gloves, and goggles on and wrench the lines apart.

that would be my method.

------------------

Mike Reeh
Gold #34
San Diego, CA

·
Gold Founding Member
63,944 Posts
Harley, The throw away cylinders have check valves built in, refrigerat can come out but nothing can go back in. (they have green or white knobs)
If you run accross any of the old cylinders with out check valves (they have black knobs) hang onto them, they are getting hard to find

------------------
Dean Call
Overland Park KS
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350

macc.chevelles.net

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.