Team Chevelle banner
121 - 140 of 182 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
It revs to 6000 rpm with the 850, so we can set aside the fuel supply concern for now.

Also, there’s no issue with the secondaries opening. On the street I estimate it’s about 3 1/2 tenths quicker, based of many factors.

Today (full tank, trunk, w/passenger)
Product Rectangle Azure Font Parallel

Last fall (some fuel, empty trunk, no passenger)
Product Rectangle Azure Font Slope

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Let me see - May 25, 1983 (or so) is a day I remember well. I was driving down by American University in Washington DC and I was driving around Westmoreland Circle and the car flutter a little bit and was having a tough time idling and continued on past the school and about a 1/2 mile later bang the air cleaner stud took out the engine. It had vibrated loose undid the wing nut and went into the engine. Cracked the block and it needed a sleeve. When I emptied the oil antifreeze came out first. My guess as is I had taken lid off and not really tightened it and it came loose over 100 miles. For the last 40 years I now have the wing nut welded to the stud so there is no way it could fall through the air clear ever again.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
There’s a learning process involved in everything…distributor gears.

Bullet Cams tech support verified cam in the 510 is ground on a 1050 steel core, so it needs a special steel distributor drive gear ( the same as GM factory roller cams). He could not say if MSD’s melonized cast-iron gear was suitable or not, but according to MSD, it is.

However, at this point I’ve read enough horror stories about using a factory HEI cast iron gear, as well as MSD melonized cast-iron gears (85551 is supplied with gear 8531, according to Holley tech support, and 8561 is a more expensive “marine” labeled version of the exact same gear), that I have to hit the pause button to be sure.

The sure bet is the steel GM gear 10456413 (0.491” shaft), but my local GM dealer stated that GM has discontinued the gear.

This article below states that late model HEI distributors used on roller cam engines also had the steel drive gear. The large cap HEI distributors fitted with the steel drive gears lack the vacuum advance canister, as does mine, but there are far more years of large cap HEI distributors without vacuum advance prior to roller cams so that’snot a sure bet either.

Anyhow, Howards has steel gears on hand:
94404 - 0.491 shaft (GM points and large cap HEI
94409 - 0.500” shaft (MSD)

Order placed NDA, hopefully the gear arrives before the race so I can sleep at night.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Locked MSD installed, racetrack tomorrow and Friday.

Get your final guesses in.

Summary:
640/680 corrected
4100 lbs
2.56 gears
225/70-15 Coopers

Reactions: WHT/73

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
What did you run at this event last year?
At this event last year, 12.92 @ 108.87 mph.

Of course, that was two engines ago. In the fall, the car went 11.84 @ 119.27 in -300’ air with my locally built, 049-headed 496.

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 · (Edited)
I wouldnt chance and not use a melonized gear.
The MSD comes with a melonized cast-iron gear. MSD will tell you that it works with a 1050 steel cam core, like a factory GM cam, but I went ahead and bought Howard’s 94409 - it’s a 0.500” shaft (MSD) gear for the MSD - it’s a steel gear for steel cams,

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
The MSD comes with a melonized cast-iron gear. MSD will tell you that it works with a 1050 steel cam core, like a factory GM cam, but I went ahead and bought Howard’s 94409 - it’s a 0.500” shaft (MSD) gear for the MSD - it’s a steel gear for steel cams,
Yes I know Msd says their gear is melonized but not sure about that or the quality always changed to a honed gm or a Morel melonized gear. The marine gear from Msd is supposed to be good.
Thats why I recomended a melonized howard gear since Ive been told to used a melonized gear with 1050/1055 cams and not steel? But I always follow what the cam suplier tells me. So if bullet is ok with a steel gear it will be fine.

Reactions: dragginwagon406

·
Registered
13,255 Posts
any reason Bullet didn’t install an iron gear onto the cam during its manufacture?

Reactions: bradley67

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
any reason Bullet didn’t install an iron gear onto the cam during its manufacture?
I don’t know if it’s an option but I had them look up the cam by serial number and it requires the steel gear.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Since it is my son‘s birthday I decided to drop him off at school before heading to the track. I should be to the track about 1215. Hope to get in my first race by about 1-130.

·
Vendor
9,363 Posts
There’s a learning process involved in everything…distributor gears.

Bullet Cams tech support verified cam in the 510 is ground on a 1050 steel core, so it needs a special steel distributor drive gear ( the same as GM factory roller cams). He could not say if MSD’s melonized cast-iron gear was suitable or not, but according to MSD, it is.

However, at this point I’ve read enough horror stories about using a factory HEI cast iron gear, as well as MSD melonized cast-iron gears (85551 is supplied with gear 8531, according to Holley tech support, and 8561 is a more expensive “marine” labeled version of the exact same gear), that I have to hit the pause button to be sure.

The sure bet is the steel GM gear 10456413 (0.491” shaft), but my local GM dealer stated that GM has discontinued the gear.

This article below states that late model HEI distributors used on roller cam engines also had the steel drive gear. The large cap HEI distributors fitted with the steel drive gears lack the vacuum advance canister, as does mine, but there are far more years of large cap HEI distributors without vacuum advance prior to roller cams so that’snot a sure bet either.

Anyhow, Howards has steel gears on hand:
94404 - 0.491 shaft (GM points and large cap HEI
94409 - 0.500” shaft (MSD)

Order placed NDA, hopefully the gear arrives before the race so I can sleep at night.
With cam cores the way they are, Morel had their cast coated melonized gear test on steel cores for GM and Ford. No issues with wear. We keep them in stock. Everwear cores with the press on gears are going extinct along with SADI cores due to the shortage of ductile iron. I can see where billets will be the only choice.

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
Never heard or seen 1050/1055 cores with pressed on distributor gear? But maybe they exist? All I have seen has been one piece.
I don’t know if it’s an option but I had them look up the cam by serial number and it requires the steel gear.

·
Vendor
9,363 Posts
Business owners:
Customer 1 wants 3.2Million cams total of 2 part numbers.
Customer 2 wants 500K cams total of 5000 part numbers

Customer 1 is a contract for 5 years
Customer 2 is no contract just various PO's.

Which would you do?

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
First pass. Eased it out. On the 6200 chip at 1100’

Felt good, typical Midwest summer air.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 · (Edited)
It’s laying down in the last hundred feet are so. Pretty sure it’s running out of fuel, it’s not valve float.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
850 vac secondary.

0-80531stock, aside from jetting.

121 - 140 of 182 Posts