Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the weather finally got nice enough to go Cecil County Dragway today. I went and got my used drag radials mounted on the new rims this morning and then headed toward the drag strip. The first run netted a [email protected] The mph seemed a little off compared to the 105 I was turning at the end of last year. I made a few more runs with the same 25# in the drag radials and with the air cleaner on. All runs were 13.2-13.3 with 1.9 60's. I then dropped the air pressure to around 20# and removed the air cleaner. The best run of the day was:

R/T .101
60' 1.942
330 5.516
1/8 8.458
MPH 83.75
1000 10.986
1/4 13.123
MPH 105.53

I also had a new best MPH which was 106.29. I am getting closer to my goal of a 12 second car. All in all I don't think it was too bad considering I went from a 26" tire to a 28" tire. I made 9 passes total until I got stopped for dripping oil. Nothing serious though, just a little drip from the front seal. I still have the timing set at 32 degrees, so I am hoping that bumping the timing will get me to the 12's (forgot my timing light) :clonk: I also thought that my 60' was still a little weak (best of 1.915) I think that the little small block might like some more gear. Best MPH came shifting at 6,500 rpm which is a little higher than I was spinning it last year. Any comments or suggestions?

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
Hot [email protected] Rich, you got that thing moving pretty good! Nice MPH!

So you actually increased your tire size, and ran a better MPH? Cool. Bump that timing to 34-36* and show us that 12 sec slip.

Congrats!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Congrats on the new numbers.
I was supposed to be there today but had to work and other issues too. Buddy with Black Nova got his license today up there too, 9.71 @ 141 and blew tranny ... done for the day.

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Looks good Rich.
I think your right with the gears. Swaping to the 28" tires is like dropping your ratio down to 3.08's. I think going to 3.73's or even 4.11's would get those 12's your looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
nice job. :thumbsup: :beers:
If you are only getting 1.9's with drag radials you must be leaving a ton of power back on the starting line in smoke :eek:.
Not an expert by any stretch but get it to hook a bit better and hellow 12's :yes:

Then it'll be 12.5 and then .........well you get the picture.

I was happy when mine finally broke into the 12's , then last years goal was 12.5 on street tires. Well I got to all those points now I am going for a 11.99 but think its time for some real rubber. can you say slicks.
Just for the record all goals so far have been with 3:31 and 28"tires. Put in 3:73 and really did not gain a lot. (0.03 seconds).

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doug. Yeah, I saw that happen. Lots of smoke...wasn't sure what happened. Looked like he was really close to the wall. Did he hit it? Was a really good day. Not too many cars. Too bad you had to work, I am anxious to see what the cam change does for you.

Thanks Vince. I have a set of 4.11's still in the box and a set of no-hop bars. I will have to get these on there and see what happens. I think the car responded well to the taller tires. I think I really could have crossed the finish line in second gear if I really pushed it. I think the lower gear should really help.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BF Goodrich drag radials. P275/60R15.

Shaun, I don't think it was spinning alot off the line. Not totally sure as I was there alone. If they were I couldn't hear it or feel it. (except for a couple of runs) I think the high 60' is due to a fairly large cam and a fairly mild rear gear. Small blocks need a little more gear than torquey big blocks. I am hoping the 4.11s will help this.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Man it must be nice to race already......... congrats on best et.:hurray:

·
Registered
782 Posts
You have power to run 12s no doubt. The 4.11s should get you out of the hole better and help with your ET. A 2 tenth reduction in 60' should drop your ET about 3 tenths, so the magic is in the start. You might not like the car so much with the 4.11s another option might be a different converter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts