Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DOES ANYONE HAVE A SET OF THE BF GOODRICH DRAG RADIALS? GOOD OR BAD?
I HAVE A 67 WITH A BIG BLOCK
MOST LIKELY A 13 SEC CAR WITH SLICKS
WAS THINKING ABOUT GETTING A PAIR
ANY THOUGHTS FROM YOU GUYS?

·
Registered
834 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LERCHMAN:
ANY THOUGHTS FROM YOU GUYS?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umb, all caps is really annoying.

From what i've heard they're good if you don't make gobs of low end torque, which you may with a BB. I am leary about buying a set to put behind my 454. 427L88 uses a pair on his car witha 427 on a stick and seems to like them.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
"Because of my velle, i'm broke, cut, bruised, tired, dirty, sweaty, and loving EVERY minute of it"
My Page

·
Registered
117 Posts
i have a 454 in a 1970 chevelle, its allright performer with 280 magnum cam and rpm air gap and such stock head. Well with drag radial we would slip at least a full rotation and then this year I bouogh some mickey et streets and there is absolutely no slip. I've shaved off about 1 tenth from the slippage.

Granted I dont drive the mickeys on the streets like i did with the drag radials but I change the tires at the track. The drag radials were a vast improvement over street tires. And the mickeys were a vast improvement over drag radials for track only.

Hope that helps some
Rob

·
Registered
992 Posts
Just recently my friend John ran his Monte SS with these vs Hoosier 28x10. On the slicks the car went a low 11.5, and on the DR went a high 11.5, with 1 more mph.

Tire pressure is key with these...they are very fickle tires and like about 16-17 psi....more and you have spin, less and you have spin, IMO they are just as good if not better for most cars than slicks

------------------
"Put the strength to the test"

**Dave Armstrong**
'67 Chevelle 396/Th400/4.10
12.45 @ 107 mph. 1.74 60ft

'95 Firebird Formula LT1(2FST4LOV)
14.0 @ 97mph daily driver
The Burnout
The Launch
The MAN!!!(the guy in the black shirt)

·
Premium Member
17,958 Posts
Yeah, I ran the big wall 275/60's and they worked fine, as long as you were i the 15-18 psi range. Of course, when they were the only rear tire I had, I ran them at 26-28 psi and they'll slip there.

Those were sold off and I got a set of the short wall 275/50, to effectively reduce my gear. Well at 26-28 I can light them up all day and I dont have a torquey motor. I havent tried them at the "right" psi of 15-18 yet though.

They wear FAST so I wouldn't run around on them all the time. I did on my first set and you'll get maybe 2500 miles out of them and that was with little racing. They kick up LOTS of gravel too.

They're not true slicks, but they're not bad.

[This message has been edited by 427L88 (edited 05-29-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
I bought a set..I havent mounted them yet..
I bought mine from SAMS CLUB....They were about $25 cheaper than Summit even with the .065 per dollar sales tax in MN..

PS Are Sams Club stores national? They are the members discount store branch of Wal-Mart....

------------------
You can sleep in your car,but you cant drive your house.
Tony. H . 406 powered , Mohave Gold , 72'Malibu

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hoffbug,

I have seen the Sams Clubs in several cities so I would say they are pretty national....definatly prevelant in the midwest. I have yet to shop for tires there. I am goin this next weekend and looking at what they have being I have a membership through my job...thanks

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
Scott...One thing that I can tell you for sure is to make the "insolent teenage gumsnaping clerk" get the book out and look them up before he mumbles "we don't got nuthin like dat"

You'll probably have to order them in like me.

------------------
You can sleep in your car,but you cant drive your house.
Tony. H . 406 powered , Mohave Gold , 72'Malibu

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have M&H StreetMaster 245-60s. VERY sticky. Car ran 13.3 with almost no slipping. The former owner of my car got them from Jegs, on sale for $95, normally $170. I really like them, but they'll wear out quick on a driver, (very soft rubber).

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
Lincoln, NE
70 SS 402ci+.030 TH400 3.73 posi Cranberry Red

We've not been called upon to hold the fort, but rather, to storm the heights!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I run Drag Radials on mine and can't really complain yet. (I only have 5 passes on them so far).

My best 60ft was 1.71 with them and I ended up running a 12.02 @111 mph. (468, 4.10 gears, 3500 stall.) The tires had 16 pounds in them on that pass.

This was also the 1st pass on the new motor, so I'm sure there are some 11's in the car's future...

Jake

------------------
Hollywood Knights - Pittsburgh Chapter
www.hwknights.com
Black 66 SS396 www.chevelles.com/feature/september99.html
Pittsburgh PA

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have 235/60-15 drag radials on my 64 chevelle (3400lbs) 373 rear gear and a 408 small block I raced the car 2 weekends ago and ran a 11.99 witha 1.7 60ft I was launching at 2600rpms did not have any spin, psi was 32. I am very impressed with them.
The only bad thing is they wear kinda fast I had a different set last year they did not have any tread left, but I drive the car almost every nice day and I like to get on it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't own a set of BFG drag radials (yet), but I was considering running our Yenko Camaro at the last 2 NSCA races of last season and this year's circuit this year, in the BFG Factory Stock class, which used the drag radials. [Note: they dropped the class for this year] Anyway, when I got to talking to the guys currently running in the class, I asked them some of the questions that have come up in this thread. They all said that pressure is the KEY, and that 16psi would be a good starting point. Also, they all told me that if possible, buy a used set. Everyone I talked to said the last 1/8" of the tread was the best, and they work best when almost bald. Now, obviously their tires weren't seeing much street time with tread that low, but for the track, that's what the recommended.

------------------
Rob Clary
'69 Yenko Chevelle
Interested in COPOs, Yenkos or other dealer built muscle cars then go here: www.yenko.net

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Hey 427L88,

I'm thinking about the Drag Radials, I would like to mount them on a set of Rallys.

What size backspacing did you use for the 275/60's.

------------------
Rob Mirabile TC #1079, ACES #4387
"If You Don't Drive It-Sell It"

The Ride
The Crew
Showing Off
The Lemans

67 Malibu Conv (always under construction)
64 Lemans Conv, Building for my brother-in-law

·
Premium Member
17,958 Posts
Rob, I shod a set of 71/72 SS/ Z/28 rims with them. 7" rim on a 4.75" backspace. 7" is quite marginal for these. I should think the 8" Rally with 4.5" should work. SHOULD!?!( I'm hoping becuase that next years upgrade - rallys. Do let me know if you try it out.)

As for you guys that say they "suck" can you elaborate on that technical term.

As I say, they're not slicks screwed to the rims, but given the right inflation, they work decent. I've never run the Chevelle at the track with them. I did run a 509ci Camaro with my 275/60s and even at 12psi ( under manufacturers recomended inflation)I broke them loose when I tipped in the secondaries.( tripower car). They're not Racemasters. ET's seem to be better as well.

What might "suck" is the suspension they are trying to hook up.

[This message has been edited by 427L88 (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Registered
992 Posts
Rob, if you want to try some different wheels for backspacing fit, just email me or call me.

My Hoosiers are on a 5" backspace if you want to see if that rim will give you any advantage

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Lerchman,
I run 275/60-15 BFG Drag Radials on Eagle 15x8 wheels with a 5" bs (see signature).
These are the ONLY street legal/radial tires I could get to hook.

I've got about 700 miles on them now and they're showing some wear. I'd buy another set.

------------------
Bill Burke
TC#613
ACES#3920
'67 El Camino-Finished? Never!
'77 Camaro LT - older is better!
67 El Rat-original
67 El Rat-Cruisin'

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.