Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on running my 66 Malibu on wed. at Sears Point Raceway here near my home. I have a list of all the tech requirements and need some of them clarified to make sure i qualify. Here they are:

What is a battey tie down? it says "if in stock location, stock tie downs are acceptable" I dont think my car has tie downs. Where can i get one? It then says "a battery shutoff switch must be installed at teh rear of the vehicle that will shutoff all electrical functions including engine operations" How do i install such a switch? and where should it be mounted at the rear?

Must have positive on/off action ignition switch within easy reach. Just the key ignition OK?

Fuel tanks must be externally vented and no higher than top of rear tire. I dont have a vented cap so my talk vents through the stock tube in the rear. Is this generally Ok?

Sorry for rambling, dont want to get out there and find out i cant race.

Ill let everyone know what i do.
Thanks again

------------------
Jon, 66 Malibu Sport Coupe
Fremont CA, Birthplace of many a Chevelle
members.tripod.com/jon66bu/jon1.html

·
Registered
341 Posts
What class are you running in and how fast do you plan to run? The battery must be secured to the battery tray with some sort of hold down, most tracks require some sort of overflow bottle for the radiator tube, no hubcaps or trim rings, a driveshaft loop on cars running slicks, seatbelts, a helmet may also be required in some classes as well as a cage for times faster than 11.99. There may be more or less rules in your area, call the track and ask them. Have FUN!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Jon, If your battery is in the trunk you will need to install the Master Disconnect. You can install it later, they will let you race and will inform you of what you need next visit. Here are the main items you will need to cover:
Battery hold down- battery must be secured to battery tray OEM unless removed.
Radiator Overflow- Radiator overflow must be plumbed to an overflow resivior. no external venting, avoids water on the track.
Helmet- required at 13.99 and quicker. BRING ONE if not snell 95 they may let it slide once.
Seatbelts- must have, OEM fine.
Original gas tank is fine, Have all lug nuts, and tread on DOT tires. Ive been to sears point and if you have the above covered you'll have a good time.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,616 Posts
Jon, Another item to check is oil pressure gauge tubing. If you have a mechanical Oil pressure gauge, it must have metal tubing, not plastic. This, along with the radiator overflow can, secure battery, seat belts, and no hubcaps/trim rings, are the most common problems found with street cars running above 14.00 seconds. Also, automatic trans shifters must have a reverse lockouts and neutral safety switches. von

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If your battery hold down is OEM and only secures the bottom of the battery, most tracks will not let you race. It must have a hold down across the TOP of the battery. Most auto stores have several types to choose from. They want to be sure that the battery stays in during a roll over.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info. Ill probobly not break into the 13's but incase i plan on bringing a helmet anyway. I have an overflow so that is covered. I have a muncie so no reverse lockout etc. needed. My battery tray has a hold down on the bottom where the battery kind of clamps in. Is this OK 1bad67? I am just going to use my radials and they are new so plenty of tred.

Anyone have any tips on going fast beside new rear end. Its a 66 malibu with 350 (from 67 camaro, 295hp stock) with edelbrock performer cam, manifold and carb (650) Hedman headers, flowmaster exhaust dumped after mufflers. open 3.08 rear. BFG radials 235/60/14 front 245/60/15 rear. K&N filter charger air cleaner (sould i run without this?) Muncie M-20. Car and me (220 lb). any time estimations.

Ill post tommorrow night when i get home.
Thanks again
Jon

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,616 Posts
I'll guess 15.20. Anybody else? Whoever comes closest wins. von

·
Registered
80 Posts
My guess is in the 15's at 90-95MPH. Your biggest problem will be getting traction, especially with the relatively narrow street radials and open differential. My first run on street tires and non-posi rear was 20 secs smoking my right tire all the way past the 1/8 mile mark. Now my best is 13.6 sec. using 275/60R15 Drag Radials and a 3.73 with posi.
Tips for racing with radials: #1 AVOID THE WATERBOX IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. Your treads will pick up the water and carry it all the way to the staging beam (and the big guns with the big slicks behind you won't like you for it). Also no big burnout...a little "chirp" or two will suffice and may not even be necessary. "Feather" it at the start to keep traction rather than slamming the accelerator at the green light.
#2 Yes, run with your air filter on. It supposedly laminates the air flow into the carb thus avoiding turbulence.
#3 Please, wear your helmet. I'm on call tomorrow night and, should you wipe-out or roll-over, I (or my colleagues) do not wish to stay up all night trying to stuff your brains back into your fractured skull. Please be considerate to your local neurosurgeon.

#4 When you arrive at the track, tell the officials, if this is your first time to race, that it is your first time and you hope to run 16 secs. and they will cut you lots of slack.
#5 When the lights go on on the Christmas tree, don't wait for the green light. Go on the last yellow light...believe me, unless you have incredibly fast reaction times, you won't "red light".
#6 Go luck and be sure to repost tomorrow night to let us know how you did (and whether you survived).

·
Registered
527 Posts
as long as an official doesn't read this post and is having a good day he will advise you modify your hold down for next visit and let you run. Being it is your first time they will be good to you. They send you home when you become a familar face that is always bending the rules, like under 12.0 without a rollcage ect.. My guess is 14.50 if you can keep that tire from spinning. Dont mash the gas on the green or you'll have 1/4 mi. one legger. roll it out then mash it. If that front end drops between shifts you'll run 15.50. Drive it like you stole it!! not like grama.

[This message has been edited by 1bad67 (edited 05-18-99).]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, i went and i had a blast. Unfortunately I only got in two runs and neither of them was good. The fist run i spun the tire all the way through first and a little second and ran a 15.6 @ 90.2mph. The second run was worse when my car backfired through the carb at the start and i ran a misserable 17.08 @ 90.3mph. Oh well, many more nights left to practice. I would have ran more but i had to leave. Best 60ft was 2.5. My second run actually felt a lot stronger and i think it would have been a much better time. My reaction times were terrible too, 1.247sec.
OUCH!

Theres always next time though.
Jon

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, so i was pretty slow, but does anyone know what a 65 Rustang with 302 might do. My dad has one and we will be going to the track and i want to make sure i will win. I would guess that i could improve my ET by at least 1/2sec. with a good run. Thanks
Jon

·
Gold Founding Member
1,347 Posts
A few things that I have overlooked in the past at the strip that make a difference
Can you bump up the timing also this one is one I always laughed at but was one I had overlooked Make sure you are getting full throtle one other thing make sure you are getting enough atr to the carb I swapped a smaller dia air cleaner for a larger one and it made a diff do things one at a time so you can see it for yourself MIKE

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.