Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 72 chevelle ss. car was an original 4-speed (no console car). thinking about getting a ricmond 5-speed tranny for the car. do i have to cut up the floors to get the tranny/shifter to fit in...the floors are so good i dont want to cut them. is there any alternative tranny that may be just as strong???

·
Registered
171 Posts
You should not have to cut anything. The shifter mounts in the stock location. It may sit up a little higher but it won't be a problem. This is one of the strongest street trannys there is and can take lots of abuse.

------------------
Bob (Creedmoor,N.C.)
65 Vette B&M Blown
68 Malibu B&M Blown

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx bob... one more thing.. what else do i need to install the tranny. do i need a new driveshaft? the car currently has a 350 with a saginaw 4-speed to a 12 bolt 3.73 posi. i will be putting a 454 in it this fall.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You will need a 26 spline clutch disc; might as well replace the pressure plate and throwout bearing while it's all apart. The driveshaft yoke will need to be replaced with a Turbo 400 style fine spline unit. The driveshaft will not have to be cut, the 5-speed is the same length as a Muncie/Saginaw transmission. You will have to move your crossmember back a couple of inches and thats' about it. You should be able to do this swap in a weekend easily. You might want to get some help installing the Richmond. I put mine in by myself but it was a bear! (It's heavy!)

------------------
Bob (Creedmoor,N.C.)
65 Vette B&M Blown
68 Malibu B&M Blown

[This message has been edited by Bob Bryan (edited 08-26-99).]

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just installed a Doug Nash 5-speed in my '71 convertible 427 and the shifter mounts in the same cut-out but the stock hump can't be used as the shifter (Hurst) mounts too high. The handle is also straight up from the shifter and not offset 2 3/4" to the tranny centerline like the stock console shifter. How did you guys finish the installation since there's no way the console can be used and the non-console hump needs to be modified?

·
Registered
171 Posts
My 5-speed is in my 65 Vette. I did'nt have any installation problems with the console.

------------------
Bob (Creedmoor,N.C.)
65 Vette B&M Blown, Richmond 5-speed
68 Malibu B&M Blown, Turbo 350 10" converter

·
Registered
246 Posts
Maybe I should have clarified, the tranny is in and the shifter is popping thru the floor but that's it. I'm still figuring out how to complete the install since I don't like the "Hurst Superboot" look. I want it to look absolutely stock with just the slightly different shift knob. How does it look now? Awesome - the M22 looks like a toy next to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.